Crossovers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clean

Reaction score
Peeps,

Is a Crossover (August 1971) considered to be an early, or late, bay?

Am I actually on the wrong forum as a Crossover owner?

Where is the best online resource for us charlatans?

Thanks,

Dirty.

Mine is a Sept 72 Crossover and I reckon it's an earlybay as it has lowlights although when I collected it it had an identity crisis as it had both high and low level blinkers.

I think you're in the right place.

I joined this site because the information and advice on here is second to none. Priceless. People on here get stuck in to their dubs and first hand experience that they proffer gives us all guidance and insights. The fact we Crossover owners deal with are they have subtle differences. Parts on our buses aren’t easily sourced. I’ve had good guidance from the guy doing the nitty gritty welding rebuild renovation on my bus. But I’ve been studying every step of the rebuild and realise what I need in considerations of what to buy. For example, the engine lid. 3 types. Early, late and the few years in between with different hinges in all three. 2 different shapes exist in early and late. Which one fits? And if the bus was modified and bits and bobs introduced, what to get that matches. Exuptoy says he had high, low level blinkers. Example right there. Also, we aren’t pure bloods. Feel like a muggle at times. I’d love a site with Crossover as the only consideration. I feel like a spare part at times. Almost unwelcome to the party on here. But, I do appreciate the help involved and read advice with interest. I don’t care though. I own a dub. A Crossover with quirks. And I drive it with pride. Back lights? Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. I saw someone on here with a Crossover cut them out and stick early ones in. That’s fine if you want to. Look at customised Buses and Beetles. If it rocks your boat, go with it. I love stock, but have flat front wheel arches as replacements on mine. I needed front arches and got what was available from an original early cut. After the renovation is complete, questions will be asked about what is or isn’t right on my bus. I’m not bothered. It’s another bus back on the road and it brings a smile to my face.

I’m a 61 year old Staff Nurse who watches people struggle and live or sometimes fail and die. There’s more to life than the shape of your bumpers or the size of your back lights or where your front ones sit. High or low lights ? Rounded or a channel in the bumpers? Who cares?

I own a 72 crossover. This is the right forum. As it says. Low light bays. Brilliant site this. Don't go anywhere else, friendly and full of knowledge. I can tell you some others are not. So your in the right place stick around.

At the end of the day it's a Bay.

I've got an early 68 which differs from the later 68s which differ from the later years.

Yours is just more visually different.

I have a crossover, which I love dearly [emoji177]

I’m on the early and late forums and have found both to be great places to be - super helpful, advice given freely, often a member has a random part tucked away that you need.

Join both and enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the positive replies.

We love our Crossover; I think she gets the best of both worlds.

I don’t think there’s a lot of the anal brigade on here. The only trouble I can see with crossovers is they have brakes :shock: Now that would catch me out every time ;)
I’ve personally got a UK 1970 R.H.D ex panel van that was converted to windows before I got it then I grabbed a hold of it and took the roof panel off a 72 and the sides from a 72 around the windows and nailed them on, no idea what year my slider is from but I think my cab doors are 71 and the tailgate is a repro. So all in all it’s a bit of a mixture :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, But it goes and it’s mine :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
I don’t think there’s a lot of the anal brigade on here.

True :D There will be some bantz regarding year models, but we are all driving, owning and fixing old buses, which is the important thing. 8)

Ive been on here for 8 years and never had any issues what so ever. No need to go elsewhere :)

I've always classed Crossovers as Early's. Never thought of them as anything else! We've put front discs on our 69, so I suppose we are "wanna be" Crossover's ☺

Who cares - just join in!

Hi my crossover was first registered 11 12 1972 probably think this is one of the later crossovers but someone here will know better than I. It still retains its low lights, larger rear lights and rounded bumpers, so I think it hasn't been messed about with too much during it's life. I simply adore driving it getting a kick every time take it off the drive, and will soon be taking it for a trip to either Bridlington or Scarborough for the day, a round trip of about 130 miles or thereabouts. Sitting on Flamborough Head with a cup of our own freshly made tea, the sliding door open to the sound of seagulls and flurries of snow blowing in perfect bliss. I would say for the very very old section of camper drivers if they have not experienced this they have certainly missed out. My wife also fell in love with our camper when we first got it in about 1997 but that is another story to tell. Absolutely love this forum visiting at least once per day if not a lot lot more. Mike

I’m just about to pull the trigger and view a ‘72 which I’m fairly sure I’ll be buying.
Is there a definitive ‘buying guide’ anywhere, I’d love to hear what I should be looking for before I hand over a chunk of notes!

To be quite honest, there is a plethora of guidance information in Google land. I quickly looked after reading your enquiry.

http://www.aidan.co.uk/article_tips_on_buying_a_vw_camper.htm

Just one example. Or, ask your RAC or AA if they do a service of analysis. Or someone you know and trust with experience to give it a good check. The belly pans were my big downfall. Held loads of nasties underneath. And when the paint was shot blasted off, a metal doily was the result. If they have evidence of history and input, that’s worth looking at. Renovation of a massive nature isn’t cheap. Good luck. There’ll be more of the members here answering than me I should imagine.

A quick edit. Mine looked really good and the guy doing my renovation was thinking a good bus was going to be worked on. It was when he got his teeth into rebuild and stripped it down that he/we found the enormity of the task. But......back to positives. You may well be visiting an absolute gem.

That just about sums it up ^^^ what you’re buying and what you think you’re buying are usually two completely different camels :shock: What 99% of us see is paint, and you have got to look past that. There aren’t too many busses around that haven’t had at least one restoration at some point. The issues generally arise when the resto hasn’t been treated with some form of anti rusting treatment during the resto. Repairs that are left in primer for way too long before some top coat is chucked on c@n be prime candidates for the voracious appetites of the tin worms, so get those repairs covered up quickly or you’re saving up for a headache .
These beasties are fifty ish years old and two decades ago they were worth somewhere around five hundred a quid a piece if they were in good nick, most of them have been welded and filled and dressed up and buffed up a hat full of times and they were most certainly not thrown money at or lavished with attention to the degree that they are now or certainly by the vast majority of owners anyway. These survivors are exactly that, most of them were worth more as scrap at one time. :mrgreen:
Check for someone with loads of knowledge to go with you, maybe not the AA or the RAC chaps,as their knowledge is more for modern vehicles.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, belly pans, catches loads out. :mrgreen:

jude7789 said:
I’m just about to pull the trigger and view a ‘72 which I’m fairly sure I’ll be buying.
Is there a definitive ‘buying guide’ anywhere, I’d love to hear what I should be looking for before I hand over a chunk of notes!

Put an advert link up on here, we can have a look and someone may know the van, or we may be able to spot some obvious things from pictures - positive as well as negative :)

Latest posts