CSP disc kit... Should I or shouldn't I?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying a brand-new CSP 64-70 disc kit at a very good price (over 100 cheaper than it's rrp).

However, there are a couple of things on my mind, namely...
- Will the kit be compatible with my T2d dropped spindles?
- Will the kit be ok with splitty crows feet wheels?
- Will there be any increase in the front track?

Also, I know there are a couple of alternative wide-5 kits (futbus, plus the 'home-grown' kit being put together), but can anybody say what the difference is between these kits? i.e
- does any one of the kits use better quality/more readily available components?
- is any one of the kits better designed (for longevity etc)?

Given the choice (and money), what would you choose?

Thank you,

Mike

Ive got the said kit on my 1970 westy and im very impressed now they have bedded in.They pull up straight and are better than the drums before.They still take a hefty push in an energency but i am now comfadent that the bus will stop and its no longer a guess which way it will pull.Only small issue is the wheels get dirty very quickly but apart from that i would go for them every time

They do two kits, one is suitable (smaller discs) for splitty steels and one isn't, i believe the recesses on the rims catch the caliper. My splitty had beetle solids on to get round this problem (boxwagen kit, but same principle)

The T2d spindles put the ball joints (uprated and upside down) very close to the discs - only about 5mm, but i've only seen them fitted to a 71 with factory disks. Ring Paul at T2d, he'll advise you

Thanks guys.

I'll try T2d again tomorrow.

Though the more I hear about the futbus kit, the more I'm drawn to it (uses all VAG parts and standard bearings). Also like the flexibility of the futbus kit. i.e. being able to change the PCD plate if switching to Porsche PCD.

A cheaper option is either a post 73 set up but you will need adapters to keep your wide 5 wheels, or (as Leon and many others have done) is to get a porsche 944 set up.
Both the above can be sourced a lot cheaper than the CSP kit but not sure about using them with your dropped spindles, might be worth asking in the tech section

I know what you're saying Froggy, but I don't really fancy going for late setup + adaptors...

I spoke to Paul @ T2d and the CSP kit will work with crows feet wheels and also the T2d spindles.

So... Do I go down the CSP/known route or do I take a leap of faith and try the futbus way?

Any final opinions - I need to give the seller an answer by tonight?

Cheers,

Mike

I'm confused... Status VW sell this kit for about £650 - BUT it says king-&-linkpin beams...

Does this mean that the CSP kit wont be suitable for my 68 with the weedeater (ball joint)?

I have the 944 kit on mine, but if i had my time again i would go the futbus way.

i have the rear kit and its top notch! and customer service it top too.

Mark

The kit comes with all the parts to fit 64 to 70 buses. As long as you have a pre 70 you will be fine.

Good price if you compare to T2D

Can't compare to any other set up (apart from drums) but I am very pleased with my CSP's :mrgreen:
They stop much better :eek:

windsurfer said:
Can't compare to any other set up (apart from drums) but I am very pleased with my CSP's
They stop much better

I agree, fully loaded camper with 3 kids a vast improvement. I seemed to spend alot of checking it was the right kit at the time but can't remember the full details. I have wide five, 14" wheels, and dropped spindles, didn't know the make of the spindles but i think this issue can get more confusing than it should be.

Latest posts