new wide 5 disc conversion....and cheaper than a csp kit!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ianscooby said:
faux said:
Looking at the Futbus system it does look great. And I totally respect the work that has gone into this.

My only concern is that it is still £795 which is only £30 cheaper than the RRP price for the CSP kit. CSP have their kit passed through certain quality controls and have guarantees, spares etc, the fitting instructions are easy to DIY and the only extra you need to buy is grease. I am not by any means putting down this kit, but the price is still high IMO. It would be good to work with Futbus to help bring the cost down if that is possible.

There is such a big call for a Reasonably priced UK kit and the Futbus one is 95% there I recon.
Faux
The set up looks good, all you need to do is get a brake company to do it, right grade ali etc, I have access to two people who could do it and access to billet ali of the right grade, the last time I done this the ali blanks where £20, wilwood calipers where £100/set, even with price increases and the machine it would beat the csp prices by a long way, all I need is something to copy of a cad progamme, I'll keep searching :) , keep your van locked up :lol:

Awesome.. So we have two options.. Begin a list (probably on another thread :shock: ) of people interested to gather numbers - contact Rakeway Engineering to get a price then 'go for it'.

Alternativly, contact Rakeway Engineering to see if they still have any of the CAD data and try to get them (which may mean paying a fee). Once we have them we can give to one of ianscooby's contacts :msn4:

I will try to dig out the engineering drawing for a front drum at work, and work out the size of the bearing seats, If I can get the info its only about 30 mins work to produce a CAD model, assuming the outside diameter is the same as the O/D of the drum.

The only info I would need is the disk sizes and offset from the wheel mounting face.

Hi regarding this other system, we would be happy to take a lead and listen to the options. The kit we produced is still available but we carry out mainly prototype work and so would be interested to work with the club to get the autocad drawing produced and carry the cost for the programming for the cnc.

My kits are always bases on VAG calipers and standard bearings just to keep things easy for spares and after sales, so would shy away from using anything else.

Let us know what you want and talk to me and we can progress this further.

Ive just fitted bay disc set with 205 wheels, got them off someone on, thought they would increase the track, only increased it by 5 mm either side. Basically replaced eveything from the balljoint out.

Much cheaper and stops much better and no more adjusting :mrgreen: Now what can I spend the money I saved on.......

Hi
uber cool said:
Ive just fitted bay disc set with 205 wheels, got them off someone on, thought they would increase the track, only increased it by 5 mm either side. Basically replaced eveything from the balljoint out.
Much cheaper and stops much better and no more adjusting Now what can I spend the money I saved on.......

Hi Uber

Do I understand from this post you are using late-bay disc bits (spindles etc..) but with wheel adapters on the front ?

If so can you tell us which adapters have you used?

Cheers

James

Uber,
So you have late discs with the adapter middles machined to fit over hubs, is this how you only get the 5mm extra extra track?

Good idea, might look into this as i prefer the wide 5 look of most wheels. Need to think about the rears though! :x

james

The adaptors are one off machined to sit over the hub, see the thread in gallery on my van.

Froggy,

the disc hub and caliper are about 20 to 30mm deeper than the drum set up, however the spindle has the disc closer to the balljoint than the drum is. The 5mm is the overall difference rather than just the spacer thickness.

uber cool said:
james

The adaptors are one off machined to sit over the hub, see the thread in gallery on my van.

Hi Uber

Thanks - I see what you mean. I don't suppose you recall the relative gauge of the adaptor
inner (pushed onto hub) versus outer (Wide five holes). I reckon I could buy some off the shelf ones and have them turned down if there's enough meat in 'em.

Cheers

James

Any one have part numbers for recommended VAG disk and caliper so I can get CAD models done, will post CAD on site for everyone once done, plus basic drawings.

noddy said:
Any one have part numbers for recommended VAG disk and caliper so I can get CAD models done, will post CAD on site for everyone once done, plus basic drawings.

:shock:
Someone help this guy!!
Anyone have access to the VW parts system - cant remember what its called?? :party0021:

Cunningplan can get the cad through the VW CAD data base at work I just need to know which caliper and disk to design around, or can someone let me know with VW/audi the disks come off I will get part numbers from dealers VR6 passat etc.

Will also need some help with how to attach the caliper to the suspension system.

Should be able to source machined parts as well from some of our prototype suppliers.

been busy for a couple of days so not been on here, nice to see everyone getting involved, sorry futbus for pinching your thread ;)
anyway, this may help, not vw but a recongised caliper if it's of interest, I've used these on a mini with 3 horses shy of 200 horse's and it stopped it no problems :D
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_588&products_id=8309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, little bit more expensive that the last time I bought them and a lot more than picking up second hand vag stuff :(

if futbus can do the machining atleast it remains with an EB member for future access

would be interested to see these in a porsche pattern as an alternative too?

watching this with interest :msn4:

Right started laying out the design today, came up against several problems:
1. no drawing in the database for early drums, spindles, wheels etc. so will have to find a second hand drum to get the bearing seat measurements off, can anyone help?

Good news found loads of choice of disks and calipers, looking at using sharan disk and calipers mainly because you can get the ford galaxy parts which are identical and should be cheaper plus its a large disk so should reduce leaver moment under braking, just need to check that the will fit within the wheels inner diameter.

Planing to use wheel studs off a 72 disk brake, bay to mount the wheel, will take advice from one of the material engineers at work on which grade of aluminum to use Im guessing it will need to be one of the aircraft grades, I would prefer to use cast iron but cost will be too high. An alternative could be an outer disk to mount the wheel to made of steel and welded to a turned center bearing spindle.

Can anyone confirm the method of mounting the disk, I currently plan to use the wheel bolt holes to mount the disk not just the single small screw, I think there is a high chance this could open up the aluminum around it over time, 4 blots should hold the disk firm.

Hose connections are brake hose connections standard? not sure it the caliper will need a custom connection to the flex hose, or if a custom hose will be needed

Guys feel free to chip in would be interested in knowing any pit falls or thing that could be better about current kits.

pics may give you an idea, the bell should be bolted to the rotor/disc, in the case of what is trying to be acheived here you would be better to stay with a 6 bolt set up as the csp kit depends,

brakekit.jpg

CSP-499-165-5205-DISCBRAKES.jpg

Hi Ian

Thanks for the info, Im trying to make a disk fit on to the bearing housing without the need for an adapter on the disk, this means that there should be a few disk options to chose from.

Will post some work in progress drawing over the next week or so.

Noddy,

How are you planning to mount the calipers?
Would i be right in thinking that you intend to mount an outer disc / adapter onto a late bay hub and then make then drill the adapter to suit any possible PCD? If so then personally i think your onto a winner :D and will be following this with great interest :msn4:

Don't mean to dampen your process however the centre hub will have many machined surfaces have you considered that the bearing surface will need to take into account heat so when it expands the bearing does not fall out. You will soon realize futbus charge a far price when you take the development costs into account. Why not develop somthing slightly proven on the 944 hub?

Latest posts