Cupboard Material choices?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strutt

Reaction score
Hi all, long time no post.
Finally got my mojo back after about 2 years...... :roll:

So I'm thinking of building myself a new interior, I have seen a couple of ideas I like and can't find any sense in spending a lot of money when I reckon I could do a good job myself.

I have been having some thoughts on what material to use, and wondered if anyone has any wisdom they can share, I see my choices as the following:-

Plywood then buy sheets of Formica and bond.
Wood faced contiboard
That foamy caravan stuff (have no idea what its called)

Ideally needs to be the easiest to work with, I was leaning towards the plywood, but never worked with Formica.
Any views or help would be great,

Cheers. Luke.

12mm birch ply is a nice weight/quality compromise

Don't buy crap from your local DIY place, buy from a cabinet/wood supplier otherwise itll be full of voids.

Formica can be glued on slightly oversized then trimmed with a router with a flush trim bit to give a perfect size finish.

Good cheat advice as well, make your tops out of 3/4 wood, cover with formica then using a special router bit, you can buy Arcade machine molding in any colour to fit the edge.

Heres my puck with similar setup (the tops were formica covered old school desks)

DSC_0788_zpsdquemqnc.jpg

Well hello Luke, funnily enough I'm almost at that stage too. I still roll that same chest / cool box and a set of drawers. I'm mentally designing an upright version of this set up with a Stella dispenser at the bottom to save me all the strife and trauma of getting in the van and opening the lid as the Stella should then roll across the floor and I'll put my hands near the slider and catch the bottle. I can see this all going wrong at about four in the morning and I'm buried under an avalanche of bottles. Going back to the post and conundrum, might also be worth considering weight. For the work required I think using a pre coated / covered material is the way forward but that always introduces the age old dilemma of covering the edges especially on the doors. Very few of the iron on strips are good enough for the job in a van. Thin real wood strips glued to the edge and mechanically fixed is usually the answer. Think about what you actually use in your van and try and design it so you have the most used with the easiest access, like power supplies etc. Also don't put the drawer with the bottle opener in by the bed (silly example) for instance. Good time to run cables etc for hi fi and power and lighting upgrades around the bus, some LEDs are brillyunt now days.

Ozziedog ',,,,,,, See you at the Castle ? :mrgreen:

Hey Webaldo, that was a bit spooky, you saying virtually what I was saying ? I like that trim and looks to be a good answer to the conundrum, as a matter of fact I like the way you've done all of it. I'd like mine to look like an expensive hand built creation with easy close hinges etc etc but the reality is all about weight hence the door styles you can actually use. Of all the tools available to us old builders, a router was one that I never got my hands on. Having never used one, I'm guessing it's all about using decent guides to follow and keeping your pinkies on top the damn thing. Anything else to look out for?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Any old router will do, its buying high quality bits that matter, don't buy generic screwfix ones etc, get proper Trend ones etc. My router is just an aldi one, done the puck and a previous teardrop with it.

As long as the plywood is straight, the cutter does the work, as below, the ball bearing follows the plywood, and cuts the top veneer/formica accordingly

veneer_flush_trim_bit.gif

For arcade molding you need a specific size cutter which cuts the groove then no glue required, just tap it in.

Another alternative is cope aluminium molding, drill holes every so many inches and use stainless screws for a 50's feel.

Here's a teardrop I did with this effect

DSC02800_zps4wdtt5uj.jpg

works well on cabinet doors too

DSC02785_zpslemfzy5b.jpg

Ill be starting my interior after xmas probs, full width bed, then rip off of a westy/cross with a sundial.

Cheers for the replies, now I need to get searching for some inspiration.

Ozzie, yeah good thinking although I planned ahead and have a bottle opener bolted to the bulkhead behind the seat 8)
Lighting upgrade is defo needed and might look at a 3-way fridge.... or just a 3-way.... :lol: :roll:

Webbaldo,
Your suggestion is nothing short of genius, thanks for that. I have a timber merchant nearby. That trim solution is so good, really robust too. Hopefully my skills are good enough,
Not time to nick the old mans router and start making something.

Ps, Ozzie, no Castle this year, I'm driving past and onto Devon. At least I'm using the van, will catch up soon though.

Ok Luke, just toot your horn as you go past the M5 M4 junction and I'll give you a wave as you pass .

Ozziedog,,,,,, summers here, get out in them busses! :mrgreen:

Latest posts