Cyril the '71 Westy Refurb.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTetley

Reaction score
I've been in and out of Earlybay.com for the last 2 years or so and though it was about time I started a thread of my own.

I'm not a life-long VW enthusiast, but after admiring the vans I'd spotted in the South West whilst living in Bristol I decided to hire for a few days and have a go for myself.

A LHD '66 Splity called Dylan was my first choice.
My partner and I picked him up from Devon Classic Campers in South Molton and to Cornwall we headed.
By the time we'd poured the first G&T after setting up camp we were hooked!
The driving experience was a real eye-opener and the feeling of taking your home to wherever you please was great.
Sitting out in the summer evening light next to a classic motoring icon filled me with pride. The friendly glances and admiring comments on the campsite and the fellow VW'ers waves made me feel this was something special.
A great couple of days in Padstow were had - with the obligatory fish n chips at Ricks!

dylan.jpg

Our next leg from Padstow to Newquay didn't quite go to plan. After leaving the campsite early we'd decided to go without breakfast. We'd stop somewhere by the sea once we were on the road.
However.......half an hour later we found ourselves stranded on a blind corner, on a hill, in a country lane, without mobile phone reception! Being a complete mechanical novice - I was useless! A long walk to find a signal and a call back to Sean at Devon Classic Campers saw us sitting in Dyloa waiting for the RAC. He arrived, he couldnt fix it......we waited again for a flatbed to collect us. Six hours had passed, it had been 30*C - one of the hottest days of the year, we hadnt eaten - we were in the middle of nowhere. The batteries in the radio soon ran out, as did the water, the milk and even the tonic.

Eventually we'd arrived back in South Molton, courtesey of the RAC. Sean had organised for Dylan to be taken to Ian at South West Classic VW's where he came to meet us. Ian and Sean were very helpful and after a night at a local campsite and a much deserved pub-meal and a few pints, we were back at South West Classic VW's where we picked up George - a LHD '77 Westy Berlin. We were back on the road and back on our holiday. Wow - the late bay was so different. Much more practical, with brakes that worked and 2 litre engine. Our planned route in Cornwall was out of the window as we were too far away so to the Devon coast we headed.
A very relaxing and hot few days at Croyd were had and a night inland at a beatiful little site near Tavistock.

George.jpg

We handed George back to Sean and left with 'VW Campers' in our thoughts. We'd love to own one. Despite the breakdown and a wasted day of our holiday and our Cornwall plans being scuppered, we well and truly loved the VW experience and within a week I was looking into buying one to call our own.

With a lot of questions answered by the Earlybay forum amoungst other sites, I felt an Early Bay was the one for me.
The Splitty was lovely to look at, but just not comfortable and practical enough to enjoy. The Late Bay was clearly a more modern drive but lacked the iconic looks of the late '60s. The Early Bay would be an investment too if looked after properly.

The hunt was on. I contacted Sean at Devon Classic Campers and Ian at South West Classic VWs and asked them to keep their eye out for something suitable. Within 3 weeks Ian called me about 'a very solid and dry early bay' - I went to see it and the rest is history.....

So, this is Cyril (named after my Grandad). A LHD Westy born 3rd May 1971.
Photos taken the day I bought him. Notice the Italian number plates. The van is Italian spec and was still registered in Itlay.
The previous owner had been travelling Europe when his circumstances required him to sell his pride and joy.

Cyril4.jpg

Cyril.jpg

An Italian detail - indicators mounted on the pillars
new069.jpg

After a couple of months and a new carb he was MOT'd, UK registered and back on the road.
A few minor changes to the exterior a tidy of the interior and our first weekend was away was on the cards.

Image037.jpg

new002.jpg

Image019.jpg

The interior was far from original! Front and rear seats courtesey of a 1980's Nissan, a couple of very heavy planks for a make shift bed and some units cobbled toegther from various doner vans......but it was useable and practical.

new009.jpg

new006.jpg

new012.jpg

new018.jpg

Image015.jpg

The bodywork was dry and in good condition. The usual places were in good order - nothing much to worry about.
There were a few bits and bobs which were mainly cosmetic, but could spoil the van if they weren't sorted out in time.
The canvas was very worn and would need a replacement soon.

Image062.jpg

P1010168.jpg

P1010161.jpg

P1010163.jpg

Image063.jpg

P1010164.jpg

DSCF1102.jpg

The plan was to enjoy Cyril is his current state while we planned his future.
Two summers of day trips and weekend camping and we had a plan. Cyril deserved a refurb. He would be 40 years old in May 2011 and the make-over would be timely to last another 40 years - with a bit of luck!

Being new to the VW scene I'd sought a lot of advice at Earlybay.com and discussed my requirements with various enthusiasts and visited garages for quotes. I eventually came across Ron Richman at VW Endangered Species in Trowbridge - Wiltshire. (Rocket....on here for those who dont know him).
Ron was positive about Cyrils condition and the work I wanted. Ron is a true perfectionist. He had great pride in showing me his work on his own '67 Westy which he is painstakingly restoring to original condition. I was more than happy to put my van into his safe hands.

The work started in September 2010. I would lend a helping hand by stripping-out the interior and removing the bumpers.

new039.jpg

new043.jpg

new038.jpg

new041.jpg

new042.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Cyril was delivered to Ron in October, where the work continued.
We are going for a full respray in and out in Savannah Beige. Ron began the prep work and the necessary welding.

IMG_0496.jpg

DSCF1113.jpg

DSCF1114.jpg

A pair of replacement doors where sourced from FBI VW in Swansea and Ron did the necessary.

DSCF1112.jpg

DSCF1111.jpg

This little scrape on the rear bumper corner (by the previous owner) turned out to be a bit more than it looked!

P1010166.jpg

Ron had his suspicions about a thick patch of filler on the rear wheel arch and we thought this would hold some suprises.
Once stripped, it was clear that an earlier 'patch-up' was more of a 'botch-up'!

DSCF1097.jpg

DSCF1107.jpg

DSCF1110.jpg

Ron sourced a NOS 1971-only panel, cut it down and welded in to replace the botching. A great job done.

DSCF1122.jpg

DSCF1116.jpg

DSCF1119.jpg

DSCF1121.jpg

Engine out, windows out, dash out, seats out - prep done and Cyril is ready to go to paint.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg

The van arrived at M and D Auto Refinishers in Street - Somerset in January 2011. Prep for painting is underway.

DSCF0926.jpg

DSCF0927.jpg

DSCF0929.jpg

DSCF0925.jpg

DSCF0924.jpg

Meanwhile..... I've sourced most of the parts needed for the rebuild. Including some original cab seats, which I've had stripped and powder coated ready for bespoke trimming.

IMG_0519.jpg

More to follow.

Thanks for looking and thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Kev

Great story 8)

Looks like Ron is doing a cracking job on the van - what colour are you going for and what are the plans for the interior?

Hey Kev,

I saw the van down at M & D the other day, looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks, it's going to be savannah beige. I know it popular, but I really like it. I'm going for the one colour top and bottom, topped off with the White westy roof, White bumpers and White wheels.

The interior is going to be a custom designed brown with a couple of beige stripes and piping. Full width Bluebird customs rnr bed and original can seats. These are now finished, courtesy of Katie of Totally Trimmed in Bournemouth. I will post pics soon.

ICE and leisure electrics system is being installed courtesy of FAUX, I will do a post about this soon too.

Sam, if my bodywork turns out as good as yours I will be very pleased. A combination if Ron and M&D seems to be a good one!

Looks like another success story coming out of Ron's workshop with M&D's help - looking forward to seeing the finished bus once your have completed your work.

I still like the Savannah Beige/White combo looks really good together - and a fresh westy trim will just finish it off nicely :lol:

Thanks. Its getting exciting now. I went to M&D yesterday, Dave and Matt have got the primer done now and its going to be painted this week. Here's the latest pics:

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Kev

yummy.....love the final colour and so does the dog by the look of it, nice to see a job being done right 8)

ste

Thanks Jon, yeah its coming together now.

I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the height! :lol:

Lets see how it goes - perhaps I'll see the light once its back on the road.....

Electrics and canvas soon then?

So, for the interior.......

Bespoke trimming by Katie at Totally Trimmed.
After lots of searching and discussing with many trimmers I went to Katie with my ideas and together we came up with this design.
I wanted a 'retro classic' look to complement the '70s Savannah beige.

I picked up a set of original cab seats, these were striped, powder coated and retrimmed in my design.
IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Padded door cards / panels throughout in the same design. Front speakers will go in the dash kick-panels.
IMG_0522.jpg

New 4" foams trimmed for a new full-width Bluebird Customs RnR bed. The rear cushion is also full-width as I've removed the spare wheel to give maximum sleeping area.
IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

The flooring will be Madmatz vinyl tiles in the rear - chequered design in Ivory and Cocoa and Madmatz natural coir mats in Fruit n Fibre in the cab area. Photos to follow.

Its coming together now........a few progress pics:

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/Ktetley/?action=view&current=IMG_0640.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/Ktetley/?action=view&current=IMG_0644.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/Ktetley/?action=view&current=IMG_0645.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/Ktetley/?action=view&current=IMG_0643.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/Ktetley/?action=view&current=IMG_0646.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/Ktetley/?action=view&current=IMG_0647.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/Ktetley/?action=view&current=IMG_0642.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Repro interior roof panels courtesy of Marc at Morecombe and Wize........prep'd and painted with exterior matt varnish to complement the golden walnut venir of the new interior units:

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Now finished after a few coats...

IMG_0661.jpg

Latest posts