Danbury interior photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just got hold of a Danbury interior (from a 72 van) and wondered if anyone had some good shots of how it all goes in to a camper (be good to see how it should look).
Thanks

Mike :D

018-1.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

023-1.jpg

032.jpg

030.jpg

Like this!!!!! :D

That's great, I have a awesome 1970 Danbury missing most interior though.

Does anyone know when Danbury started and production numbers?

Mick

This one had the original plug for the sink, cork bung in the floor & cooker instructions !!!!
I have a lovely original sales brochure spare like ;)

015.jpg

Like this one but better condition, £11 inc p&p???

That's cool as.
My old 72 was a Danbury and came with no interior. I ended up getting hold of two sinks, two cookers, 4 buddy seats and a back seat. Just gone through refacing the rear seat and two buddy seats along with a cooker. Its all to go in my LHD replacement bus so swapped the side supports over so the cooker seat can sit by the RH slider.

Hopefully the majority of it will be in place this weekend and fully sorted ahead of camper jam

got the misses on the job of stain/varnishing it

Two layers of ply and the lino cut to size

kombibug said:
Does anyone know when Danbury started and production numbers?

Mick

Danbury launched their 'Multicar' Danbury conversion in 1964, but they really only got going with conversions when the bay was launched.
I believe only two splitty Danburys survive, and I have seen pics of one of them, which is instantly recognisable as a Danbury, with the its interior theme carried over to the bay.

I've never seen production numbers Mick, but they were produced in large numbers, particularly during the late 60s through to 1972, when they had official VW GB approval for their conversions, which meant Volkswagen dealerships were able to have them in their showrooms.

There are loads of Danburys still out there actually, but I think more of them have fallen victim to losing their 'identities', compared to some of the other conversions, due to the very nature of the Danbury's interior, ie. the removable seat/cooker/sink units, which have, over time, been removed and lost/replaced in many instances with fixed units, and their 'jigsaw puzzle' sleeping arrangements (not always popular, when traipsing back to your bus very late, and half cut :lol: ) replaced with rock and roll beds!

Aye, under the seat nearest the door, should be a pic up there but photobucket is playing up!!
Says I'm too popular! :shock:
They've not met me :lol: :lol:

Hello, Newbie here.... I also have a Danbury just bought her and was wondering how the buddy seats are secured... Mine are nut and bolt at the moment but this seems pretty unlikly that this is how they were originally designed as it would take ages and laying under the van and 2 people to transform it into sleeping area? Any help would be great. Thanks Guys. Jason. :D

Dub boy, yes, the cooker is stowed like this:

Jason, welcome to Early Bay!
Yes, as Lee C mentions, they are on runners, and lock into position.

Doug

Can somebody please post a photos of how the rear seat, the rear seat back bar and the table were attached to the sides of the bus. Thanks

I bought a new 72 Danbury in May 72 - was totaled in Yugoslavia in Oct 1973.

Sorry to hear your Danbury was totalled so early on in its life. Hope you weren't injured. :shock:
My parents bought their Danbury new also, in that year. Their bus also was to suffer damage when brand new, but not as severe as yours, by the sound of it. On our first trip to France in it, when it was only a month or two old, we had a lorry with brake failure in the back of us, and if that wasn't enough, that afternoon we lost our windscreen!

Regarding your request for pics, I hope the ones below are of help top you. My bus lives a few miles away from me, so I am relying on my 'stock' of pics already taken of parts of my bus, and in a couple of instances I've had to zoom in and crop the photos, to try and show the areas you've asked for. If need be, next time I go to my bus, I can take more detailed pics of specific areas, if that helps you.

Doug

Perfect - thanks. I bought a new 1970 T2 window van in Canada in 1969 and put a minimal interior in it myself. I used the std VW 3 seat rear seat with the fold down back and put in a 3-fold hinged ply bed on the engine box top - with 2 removable legs. Folding table. When we went to tour UK and EU, I found the Danbury new in Croydon and put the same folding bed in it. Their design of the bed meant you couldn't have a cuppa with out getting dressed and out of bed. My way, there was room to use the stove while still in bed.

Now I want to do the UK and EU for a couple of summers and trying to figure out what in - not an old T2 - either a VW t5 or small VW Crafter or MB Sprinter.

Question about the Danbury rear seat - looks like the whole thing - frame and face - come out as one piece - looks only screwed into the van - 2 screws into either wheel well? no cleat along the bottom front - screwed into the floor?

JT23456 said:
Question about the Danbury rear seat - looks like the whole thing - frame and face - come out as one piece - looks only screwed into the van - 2 screws into either wheel well? no cleat along the bottom front - screwed into the floor?

Sorry, meant to reply sooner, but forgot.

Yes, it all comes out in one piece. I don't think it is screwed to the actual floor at all though, from what I can recall. I will double check next time I go to my bus, or someone else may be able to confirm in the meantime.

I'm glad you're keeping with the Danbury theme. keep us updated please! :)

Danbury Doug said:
Dub boy, yes, the cooker is stowed like this:

Jason, welcome to Early Bay!
Yes, as Lee C mentions, they are on runners, and lock into position.

Doug
Thanks Doug, Do you know if i would be able to buy a set of these??? Sorry the reply was nearly a year to come but I had completely forgot I asked.....

Thank you!!!!
I'm glad I found this forum as I had no idea how to setup my Danbury, tried to layout the bed the other day and was confused as to why the boards didn't seem to fit. I had no idea about sliding the seats to make them forward facing.

Latest posts