Dash doesn't fit!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilswheels

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Westy,
I've bought a 71 LHD Bay. Its been stripped of a lot of stuff, but came with a dash and column in, however, the column mounts under the dash dont line up due to the padded dash pushing the column out too far. So my question is what do i need, a column or a dash? I assume a stell fronted dash will let me bolt up this column, is this right? What are the changes in the dash/column design?

if you mean it wont fit cos of the lock housing it does slide into the padding and can be tight,or you have a mix of year parts as ,if I am right,there are 3 differant dash /column sets,68/69-70/72-73>.its the cutout for the column thats differant.

Any idea whats different about the cutout? My ignition/indicator pod is rammed up tight against the dash padding., squashing it infact.

A couple of pics of whats gong on. As you can see the padding is crushed but the bolt mounts are way off. any ideas anyone?

Photo0228.jpg

Photo0227.jpg

Hi

I don't know if this helps but I have a LHD 71 Delux and it had a padded dash in that fitted fine.
I got a correct year replacement dash (because the radio hole had been hacked) and stripped the padding off, got it painted etc but when I went to fit it it became apparent it wasn't going to fit because the original has a cut out for the steering wheel/ignition 'cowling' (sorry I don't know the technical term :roll: the bit where your key goes!) to slide into.

I took a few pics of the original dash that fitted, minus it's padding :)

3-2-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

1-2-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic. So looks like I need a dash with a cutout? Is the '68 Dash' post about mine?
Feels like I'm getting closer...

Latest posts