Dealing with watching a possible fatal Accident

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madjack

Reaction score
Well out in the van today trying it out after changing to drop spindles yesterday ,going along a little lane having a nice drive out to then watch a motorcycle hurtle pass me lock up and crash .got caught up in helping him out lucky a paramedic and nurse were in the traffic but when blood started coming out of his helmet before emergency services turned up,I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got the job of removing the crash helmet with the paramedic .Got away after 3hrs but just can't get it out of my head.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. It will pass, but you won't ever forget it.

I've found that it fades with time but occasionally something will 'trigger' the memories.

Agreed, I didn't think about much else for the first week or two, but although I won't forget it, a year later it is just the occasional thing which triggers the memory.

We had a car flip in front of us in France years ago, I was first on the scene and helped pull people out. No idea how they eventually fared but it stayed with me a while :(

In Bude earlier this year I ended up giving cpr to a walker, I was there till the paramedics came but she was clearly dead. I was fine at the time but was gutted afterwards ... delayed reaction I guess.

Just give it time and talk to someone if you can :) Well done to you for helping btw :)

Puts lots of things into perspective doesn't it?

Awful situation and well done for doing what you could, hope you find out that it was a positive outcome.

What your doing now can help. Beer by the way doesn't. Talk it through with someone or post on here but don't bottle it. I've seen PTSD a few times and suffering in silence is never the way

Thanks for all the comments at the moment just keep thinking about it and as much as I know it's not my fault keep thinking maybe If I had been over a bit more he may have seen in front of me .

There's always "maybes", maybe if you left a bit earlier/later, went a bit faster/slower....

These things happen - especially when motorbikes overtake in my experience.

It wasn't your fault and after a while it'll fade but the "maybe/what -if " is normal as we don't like to feel that there's nothing we could have done to avert it.

I've been in a similar situation many years ago and can tell you that it's only human to question what you have done, as time goes on you will then begin to question what he himself could have done, and I'm afraid tragic though it is, it's all down to decisions he made: riding a bike and not driving a car, going out that day, overtaking when it's clearly not safe....We all make choices, he chose to overtake at a risky and inopportune time, you chose to stop and help. You did more than you needed to do and you should feel good about that. Time is a great healer, whatever bad feeling you have now will fade, just make sure you have someone to talk to and share this with, it's part of the process.

Latest posts