Deep sump

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinketpimp

Reaction score
Been mulling it over, anyone run one, any thoughts / nightmares.... ?

I've fitted a deep sump to my motor, I will say incorporate a CSP extended pick up which you cut to length rather than fitting the extension piece provided in the kit, as mine become loose on my previous build as mentioned in the blog above which effected oil pump suction and ultimately starved the big end which then seized. Followed by silence, tears and a wallet emptying episode!!!
I run my current motor with a lower oil level.

The pain in the arse is getting the nut off the pick up pipe internal to remove the stud as this may need extending. I got around this by modifying the sump and making a collared nut.

The other thing to remember is the oil also has to get back into the deep sump after being thrown around the case, there is not a very big gap between the pick pipe cowl and the case body when you look at it with the sump plate off.

I have also chosen to run without a strainer as I have external filtration. That's another discussion!!!

You pays ur money and takes ur chances !! If you are planning to go low, I wouldn't bother it could cost a lot of money if you were to twat it!!! Your choice though bud!!

waste of time. unless you are running it on a track or dragging it. forget all the rubbish about them keeping oil cool the heat does not dissipate with a deep sump alone therefore they just take longer to heat up, but once up to temp all that lovly oil is super hot.

deep sump is like hanging a chip fryer on the bottome of your engine.. why?!?

question is what factors are you seeing or how are you using your van to think you may need one?

Enough said..... Thank you both, think I'll scotch that idea from the start ! Loved Bob's blog, say it as it is..

So, any other ideas, better pup etc ?

I have a deep sump on my 2110. Not to keep it cool or any of that shit, I have an external cooler with a scoop for that. I have 1 to prevent the big 82mm stroker crank from frothing up the oil in the sump, I run with my oil level on the minimum mark on the dip stick. As said a deep sump won't keep it cool it will just take longer to heat up.

Can be a PITA to install and I braze the pick-up tube to prevent sucking air ;) In my opinion 2 1/2 qt's are not enough oil in a VW motor :oops:

Latest posts