Delux window rubbers.how hard are they?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
As the title suggests.
I'm replacing all the window seals on my 68 and ideally wanted to keep the delux trim look.
But I've heard it's a pig of a job to do.
Any tips out there?
Cheers
Matt

I brought the full set from C&C. The trim is delicate so you have to take your time.

You put the seal on the glass, then the trim in the seal, then the window in the van.

I found a hook set helpful to run along the seal and pull it around the trim whilst pushing it in. I put talc on the seal when pushing the windows into the van which made it way easier.

Thanks bud.im still 50/50 as to go with the delux trim or just standard black.
My van is a genuine delux so I think I may have to go with the delux rubbers.

Not heard the use of talk before,I've heard soaking the rubbers in warm water a little to make them more pliable but not talk.

neither had I it but it worked for me

I thought warm water and washing up liquid but I didn't want to trap water inside my brand new seals.

They'd be cold anyway by the time you'd got them on the glass and the deluxe trim in :lol:

Ah yeah fair point.
Hmmm il give that some thought cheers dude

Really not looking forward to doing the 3/4 windows and quarter lights in the rear.:/
Haha

the deluxe rubber is not that bad it just takes a little time. i just put the rubber on the glass and work the chrome in with my fingers while pushing the crease open for the chrome to go in. it's really not that bad. now early ghia rubber is a pain the chrome is completely different. a glass place told me the best way to put the glass in a car is to use windex or some kind of window cleaner because it evaporates after you are done.

if you want to soften the rubber up sometimes i throw them in the dryer for a minute or two.

i heard you are not suppose to use washing soap it has salt in it which can lead to rust down the road.

We did a set for a van owner on here ages ago. Thought it wouldnt be too bad and said we'd charge a tenner a window. NEVER again!! :lol:

Its a pain, it takes ages and lots of pateince, but absolutely worth it on a genuine deluxe bus. Avoid washing up liquid as previously mentioned, the salt content is nasty.

Its pretty straight forward and shall I say easy though 2 people are required I have just replaced all mine, As has been said get the rubbers onto the glass I use C&C rubbers good quality. When you get to the last corner just roll the rubber over the corner - easier now the temperatures are rising. The chrome trim is a bit fiddly you probably need two people for this too one to hold it in position while you work it along. Get yourself a tub of silicon grease - screwfix - about £6.00 then get plenty on the bus frames don't skimp you can clean the excess of if it squeezes out, put a bit on the glass rubber too. Use a good quality - strong- nylon cord, there is nothing worse than getting half way and the cord snaps and you have to start again, run the cord in the rubber and run the cords past each other and have the cord so you will be starting at the top, then you can rest the frame in the bottom and gently push in the frame into position. Make sure the rubber is touching the frame before you start pulling the cord. Don't worry if the rubber is not quite touching the bottom it will fall into place as you work round.
The quarter light are pretty straight forward just make sure the metal tabs on the frame are over the bus frame.

I did mine a few weeks ago. I'm repeating many of the comments posted earlier that it's not actually too bad. The chrome inserts pop out continually when you're putting them into the rubber & are a frustration more than anything, but you soon know what to expect. I found it easy enough to thumb them into the groove using wd40 as lube. Once the chrome trim is in place, they all fitted into the window hole pretty easily after spraying silicon spray lube all over - except for the rear 3/4 windows.
The rears took 3 of us to fit, one on the inside pulling the string (wrapped twice around the rubber), another pushing the glass as the rubber was sealing on the frame & the other pressing the chrome trim to stop it popping out. They were seriously tight, and I mean tight!. I put the 1/4 window in first, knocked it up to the c post as far as it would go, then started at the rear vertical edge of the 3/4 window so the pressure was against the 1/4 frame constantly & then pulled hard on the cord whilst the other 2 mates pushed on the glass.
Not a good job to do, but it will go in!!

Latest posts