devon pop top - best material?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robjarman

Reaction score
what's the best type of material for a Devon concertina fabric replacement? is the original replacement concertina plastic bellows set worth doing, +/- the clear window option, or is a newer fabric better? is there any big difference between fabrics in terms of condensation or durability?
thanks
Rob

If I could do nine again I would use the concertina type without the windows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fitted one of these

http://poptop-parts.co.uk/devon-bw68.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

well worth the money

many thanks for the replies - I was looking at the same pop tops as you Lobie - but which is the best material? - I try to keep things stock, so would prefer like for like i.e. to replace the original concertina with its clear panels with the same - but it's a lot dearer and I wonder how durable it is compared with the fabric options that are now available? it feels like the plain concertina would be more durable than the windows version?
cheers
Rob

the one with the windows are really good quality and let in more light I am very please I went for this option if a little pricey but at the end of the day its a job that's only going to be done once so I went for like for like

Whistler said:
Humphrey said:

Why's that Humphrey?

Mine is from proud to pop, has the flat sides but it is a pain in the arse to tuck in the canvas when you set it down, and it look ugly all bunched up on the inside. When I've got some time and money (probably never) I want to get the concertina jobby, more original looking too.

thanks for the info Humphrey - yes i decided that loose fold in material was not the best option and have now gone for the plain white plastic concertina style.
cheers everyone for your help
Rob

Humphrey said:
Whistler said:
Humphrey said:

Why's that Humphrey?

Mine is from proud to pop, has the flat sides but it is a pain in the arse to tuck in the canvas when you set it down, and it look ugly all bunched up on the inside. When I've got some time and money (probably never) I want to get the concertina jobby, more original looking too.

So you would definitely choose the concertina type, just personal preference that you wouldn't go for the one with windows in? The way I read it was that you have a concertina type with windows and wouldn't get it with windows because 'insert reason here'?

I was thinking of changing mine for the white concertina with windows. Can you let me know how you get on as apparently they is trixy to fit. Doing this yourself or they doing it for you?

Watty said:
I was thinking of changing mine for the white concertina with windows. Can you let me know how you get on as apparently they is trixy to fit. Doing this yourself or they doing it for you?

did mine , well worth the time and money , took 2 blokes 4day start to finish

Whistler said:
Humphrey said:
Whistler said:
Why's that Humphrey?

So you would definitely choose the concertina type, just personal preference that you wouldn't go for the one with windows in? The way I read it was that you have a concertina type with windows and wouldn't get it with windows because 'insert reason here'?

Because I like to sleep in!

yes, very early morning daylight control...!! that's one of the reasons why I have chosen the plain concertina type without windows, as well as expecting a simpler construction with less welds and only one type of material to be more robust than one with clear vinyl insert panel windows - my original pop top has the windows and it is those that have split along the seams and the folds and have become brittle, I guess with UV exposure - they were made in 1971, though, so I guess they have not done too badly...!!

I have ordered the pop top vinyl material and seals from Campershop and have arranged with Leon at Concept pop tops in Poole to do the actual fitting in Feb - I am going to do as much as poss of the pre-fitting removal of old gunk and gash and clearing the way for the new install before I take the bus down to Leon's.

cheers
Rob

Got from campershop and happy with the quality. not too bad to fit either. Bunching is a bit slow when putting away, but I'm never in that much of a rush :mrgreen:

Latest posts