Devon Pop Top Problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Cooled Rookie

Reaction score
Hi,

I've removed the pop top on my bay to try & fix all the leaks. Now it's off, I've discovered that the metal where the struts are screwed to is rusty, and also on one side the wood behind that metal/rust is rotten. Replacing the metal is not a problem (although my head lining will never look the same again :roll: ), but I really don't know what to do about the rotten wood.

Has anyone come across this before, and if so, what's the best course of action?

Thanks.

P.S. Appologies if you've already seen this query is posted else where on the net, but I'm v keen for more info.

Air Cooled Rookie said:
Hi,

I've removed the pop top on my bay to try & fix all the leaks. Now it's off, I've discovered that the metal where the struts are screwed to is rusty, and also on one side the wood behind that metal/rust is rotten. Replacing the metal is not a problem (although my head lining will never look the same again :roll: ), but I really don't know what to do about the rotten wood.

Has anyone come across this before, and if so, what's the best course of action?

Thanks.

P.S. Appologies if you've already seen this query is posted else where on the net, but I'm v keen for more info.

yep had the same problem, i've removed the offending wood and metal but havent got round to welding it up yet. the wood is glued using something like no more nails, i used a large flathead driver and gentle broke the glue.... warning be really carefull not to bend or puncture the skin as it will show. dont lever or twist the driver, but gently tap it home and keep the end of the head pointing away from the outer skin.

Its a fiddly pain in the ass job. :(

Latest posts