Devon Roof replacement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1

Reaction score
Good evening,
Would anyone know where to source and Devon pop top roof for my 1971 early bay??.. the roof I have is a cap and needs urgent repairs

Thanks

Hey there, the early Devon roof up to 75/76 had some real good points like its crinkle cut fabric being a joy to put up and down, but its flat roof design with the gasket etc was a disaster from the word go. It had a strange squareish fibreglass shroud that was eventually discarded. If you have an all over fibreglass cap for this from several of the main suspects, that is about as good as you can get on the proviso that all the old crap was ripped out first and a couple of supporting bulkheads put in. The original design meant that the surface water on the roof had to get to about a half an inch deep before it can even start to run off, so it was holding a large puddle which meant that the rivets would start to leak, so peeps start chucking waterproofing mastic etc on there and it gets heavier and heavier with every application which means the puddle gets bigger and bigger and the roof sags more etc etc. There later roof was just a fibreglass cap with some vents in it which works great, the vents were to combat condensation so the early ones had two then four and I`ve seen a couple with six vents. As far as I`m aware the Devon pop tops are only available second hand and that's how I got mine. There are a few companies doing repro Westy and Dormobiles style roofs but I don`t know for a Devon one apart from the caps. But I`ve never really looked for a new one.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,How bad is your current roof ? Beyond repair ?? Maybe not :mrgreen:

This is the current roof. There is a crack in the middle on the other side which needs repairing and the roof re straightening.

Thankyou for replying to my post

Later Devon roof
78675c7cc11ca7314d038fb880078481.jpg
941c12f12af84c972d1bb0998182f238.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest posts