Different end float shims?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
I have just attempted to rectify some of the end float in on my 1600 sp engine, however the replacement shims that I have do not fit over the end of the crank shaft, has anyone else ever experianced this? I have guenuine VW ones here, but they dont fit either, the intenal diameter is smaller!

Thanks

Mark

:? Different thicknesses, yes, but the id should be the same.
Unless they're off something else, I know that the early 6v ones are different (and can be difficult to get hold of) and think that the T4 ones are different too.

If the end float was excessive, like a positive clunk whenthe pulley is pulled then shimming probably wont help. The chances are the thrust face's will have taken a pounding and it will be strip down time. If it is minimal end float then you may get away with it but if you try shimming a big end float you will put to much presure on the bearings and eventually seize the motor. Sorry to be the bringer of doom.

yeah there is excessive end float, its a temp fix, i'm hoping to last the summer, I have a new engine lined up, i'm just waiting for it to be built.

Mark

Latest posts