Discs or drums?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleco62

Reaction score
OK I have a confession. I'm looking on both Early Bay and Late Bay for a bus.
As an ignorant newbie I associate Early Bay with drums and Late Bay with discs, plus crossover 1971 buses.
Late Bays sound safer but Early Bays are prettier (in my head).
But I've just read a touring thread where someone claimed drums are better than discs when negotiating serious inclines in a laden bus...

Which way do I go people? Help please...

Pete

pleco62 said:
OK I have a confession. I'm looking on both Early Bay and Late Bay for a bus.
As an ignorant newbie I associate Early Bay with drums and Late Bay with discs, plus crossover 1971 buses.
Late Bays sound safer but Early Bays are prettier (in my head).
But I've just read a touring thread where someone claimed drums are better than discs when negotiating serious inclines in a laden bus...

Which way do I go people? Help please...

Pete

Drums are more efficient at stopping. Once. They build up heat and take longer to release it compared to discs.

Discs will give a more consistent stopping performance if being used time and time again.

That said, it's possible to overheat disc brakes too. I think I boiled the brake fluid on my '71 bay once, coming down a 7 mile mountain pass descent where it was still accelerating downhill (due to gravity) at 50mph in 3rd gear. I don't know if the heat in the fronts or the rears were the cause, but they were very hot...

For normal driving, either is fine if well maintained. For mountain roads, with drums I'd be even more careful to ensure the brakes were staying cool by stopping every so often. :)

I prefer disk brakes but when it comes to buying a bus its better to ignore the brakes and buy the one in the best condition. If your that fussed its always possible to convert the brakes at a later stage.

Just go for the best year: 1971. Disc brakes with earlybay looks. :D
2B23333E-D8BD-4157-A111-1789F329E7CD.jpg

^^^WHS^^^

1971 is the answer.

Though if you need the earlier wheel bolt pattern and non flared rear arch, buy a 68-70 and a disk conversion. Simples. :)

I bought a drum brake bus and converted it to disks, its not all that hard, I prefer them dude to less maintenance, they stop well too.

My drums gave up the ghost with all the family on board, that was enough to get rid of them for me.

Discs on an early Bay mean a rock-hard pedal, so both feet to stop quick. I've now had a servo fit too, which transforms the bus driveability completely. But like others have said, buy the right bus and sort the brakes as a very secondary consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duncan said:
Discs on an early Bay mean a rock-hard pedal, so both feet to stop quick.

I've stock discs with no servo on my '71, and can get the front wheels to lock up with only one foot... I'm only just over 10 stone, so I'd have thought most people should only need one foot...

I've had mine 7 years, and don't notice the difference too much when I drive other vehicles... obviously the van requires a little more effort than much more modern cars. :)

There's a 68 bay on here for sale with vented 944 brakes and twin race servos , mega stopping power and cooling . Buy on condition not brakes etc fella

Latest posts