dismantling a sliding door handle?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Route9autos.co.uk

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a wee bit of help.

I have a van which has no keys other than an after market ignition key.

I know you can make lock tumblers fit a key by filing down the copper tabs but how do you get the lock tumbler out of the sliding door handle and rear hatch lock?

Many thanks for your help,

Dave.

There should be a small grubscrew holding the barrels into the locks (at least there was on my 72). Need to clean it well as it is usually full of grease and not obvious.

Ok, made it out there tonight so heres how I did it (on my 72 at least, early ones might be different?):

Remove plastic cap:
DSCF1025.jpg

Unscrew inner handle bolt:
DSCF1026.jpg

Remove inner handle:
DSCF1027.jpg

Remove outer handle (ignore paintjob, though if anyone wants the code - its a mix of paint stripper & a jetwash :wink: ):
DSCF1029.jpg

remove grubscrew (balls the pic is a bit blurry, the grubscrew is just in front of the washer thats on the shaft of the handle):
DSCF1030.jpg

then follow these instructions to rebuild barrel:
http://home.clara.net/hallvw/lockpart.htm

Hope that helps a bit.

And dont forget to put something into the barrel (preferably the key but you said you dont have any? so use bit of wire or similar) before you pull it out otherwise the springs & tumblers could end up anywhere.

Hi Loxy, cheers for the help dude. After a lot of looking and cleaning up I finally found the grubb screw;
lockrebuild005.jpg

Lock modified and working great now, cheers.

Dave.

Latest posts