DIY welded dropspindles?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebster52

Reaction score
Anyone done them themselves?

Tips as Do's and Dont's are welcome. If you dont want to talk online feel free to PM me or e-mail me. ;)

Hebster52 said:
...Tips as Do's and Dont's are welcome...

:shock: :shock:

My tip - Don't!!

Have a think about the sort of stresses your spindles are under when driving/cornering - would you really want to risk your life, the lives of others & your ride?

I'm all for folks having a go at jobs on their vans themselves, but I'd draw the line at home-made welded spindles, sorry!

Obviously, if you're an engineer then that's different!

:)

Who says that the welded spindles from http://www.wagenswest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/drop-spindles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or others would be safer then? Also they are just that, welded spindles... Some made out of two spindles to make one others welder from 4 pieces... :shock:

No, not the same thing in a different packet. If the welded spindles are sold commercially then they need to be tested and should they fail the company will probably be dragged into court.

If a professional (and I mean coded welder) does this and the right checks and balances are in place then fine, if someone in the industry uses the right software to analyse the stresses and produces some then fine.

DIY, it looks ok, DIY I have welded for years...........you must be off your rocker

BAD IDEA

I know stagger lee on here made his own and has run them for a few years now, no problem.

And hes flipping huge ;)

I do think that, someone with the correct skills and equipment may not ask, however?

Basically the same have been done to Race Baja's for years and not heard of any fail there either.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/Lifted_Spindles/Raisedspindles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit of a loaded question as it appears you've already made up your mind....

You know what your welding skills are like are you going to run the risk?

Shop bought then all you really have is a guaruntee, it doesnt necessarily mean there to a higher standard.

So I take it your gonna give it a bash....

you could always get a meturlagists report before fitment, it aint that expensive, not sure at how much they'll need though....

Are you planning on mig or tig welding these?

I'd be tempted to cut and tack them at home and then get a very good friendly pro to stich them up. Its not just how well you weld but a pro welder mate of mine has a £3500 tig which has to be a better welder than my £150 mig

Just my twopenith

That being said are you the same hebster who made a ultra cool mini split bug? if so, what you asking us for!

Seb

I'm planing on just CNC'n the spindles to spec, then tackweld them in position and have a pro welding them either with archwelding or TIG. Not a real DIY work but I have friends who do have the skills for this kind of welding too.

Yep, The same Hebster ;)

This is a very different image than the idea of someone cutting up two sets of stock spindles and mig welding them on a black and decker workmate!

Sounds like a good plan, how low are you going?

Seb

Everyone is going on that DIY welding drop spindles is a bad idea but no-one seems to baulk at the DIY'er fitting adjusters, or welding peices into the chassis.
A failure of either type of system could result in serious damage / injury but as said no-one seems bothered about welding in a set of adjusters.
If your happy with what you have planned then personally i say go for it. I can weld but dont think my welding equipment would be upto a task like this. If you think your equipment isn't upto it then as sadi above, tack the peices together then get a local blacksmith / welding company to complete the job

beetleseb said:

Seb

I dont really know that yet.. This is where I would like some input what is recommendable.

I know Franklinsvwwerks ones are 2½ inch drop spindles and I think that is the tops how much can be done safely. Should be able to drill a new speedo cable hole with that measurement too.

beetleseb said:
This is a very different image than the idea of someone cutting up two sets of stock spindles and mig welding them on a black and decker workmate!

Seb

I agree entirely! :)

Hebster52 said:
Who says that the welded spindles from http://www.wagenswest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/drop-spindles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or others would be safer then? Also they are just that, welded spindles... Some made out of two spindles to make one others welder from 4 pieces... :shock:

considering the hundreds/thousands Nate produces i'd say he fairly good at it ;) i havent come across any "my wagenwest spindles failed" threads yet, and hes been at it for years...

I have a set and theres no way i could weld like it, with a competent weld the weld is stronger than the surrounding metal anyway.

Justin & Muttley said:
My point is that spindles like those from reputable suppliers are professionally made - not quite the same as a DIY job!

;)

That all depends on who the 'Y' refers to. ;)

These DIY raised spindles see plenty of use/abuse and seem to be fine.

http://airsouls.com/how-tos/raised_spindles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beetleseb said:

Seb

I have seen that too, car isn't on the road yet and despite a few people voicing their concerns he is carrying on
with the build. Pigeon shit welding on spindles? :roll:

Latest posts