Do All Vans Have A Thermostat?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeLifeEasy

Reaction score
I have been having engine running hot issues (please see this post here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) so have been checking all the tinware and cooling system. Been reading about the thermostat and how this opens the flaps on the fan housing to allow them to open when the engine is warm so thought I would take a look at the thermostat on my bus. Well, I don't seem to have one (please see https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5usV8coTRBAYnJBQlZGTU1KbjA/edit?usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), so my question is, did all vans have them or did they remove them for the american market (mine is a US bus)?

Second question, how can I check if the fins/flaps are open as I don't seem to be able to seem them when looking from under the van?

Not all vans have them, but all Bay window vans had them from the factory, and all Bay window vans should have them ;)

You should be able to see the flaps in the fanhousing and operate them from the linkage behind the fanshroud, if they are fitted to your engine at all...

It's common for people to misguidedly remove them thinking it will make their engine run cooler in hot weather.

Thanks, obviously mine have been removed at some point then so that is a job before the winter sets in then! Priority at the moment is to ensure the flaps are open and air is being pushed down from fanshroud. Pretty new to getting my hands dirty so bare with me! For the life of me, I cannot see the outlets/flaps at the bottom of the fanshroud looking upwards under the van and obviously looking in the wrong place. I am concerned they maybe shut. Am I right in assuming that if they are open, I should feel a lot of air movement under the engine when it is standing still? Just looking for a way of confirming they are open if I cannot see them.
Many thanks

They look like:

455003.jpg

and fit here:

doghouse%20fan%20(1).JPG

The bar joining them is at the front end of the bus - if you have skinny arms (or a willing child), stick your hand down the back of the fanhousing and you may be able to feel the linkage bars. Or you may find that the flaps have been removed too.

You should be able to spot them from the front of the engine, but I can't find a suitable picture while (on lunch) at work. :)

You may find this useful: http://www.farrout.org/ghiafaq/flaps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks so much for the pictures. I have quickly popped out to the van and felt behind the housing and can feel the bar. I cannot feel the flaps but hope they are open and will try again when it stops raining!
I wonder if there is a default state when the thermostat has been removed e.g. open or closed.
Do you know if you can add the thermostat and flaps be fitted without taking the engine out?

I don't think having a thermostat and flaps will help your engine run cooler. They are to make it heat up quicker by being closed.

My thermostat and flaps have been removed. I have no intention of putting any back in.

I don't think you can even buy the flaps or the thermostat

bluenose said:
I don't think having a thermostat and flaps will help your engine run cooler. They are to make it heat up quicker by being closed.

My thermostat and flaps have been removed. I have no intention of putting any back in.

I don't think you can even buy the flaps or the thermostat

They do make the heads run cooler by directing the air in the directions as intended. See the link I posted above. :)

If driving in the winter, it's rare for the thermostat to ever open fully.

You can buy all the parts secondhand readily.

This subject comes up quite a bit on here, The general consensus is to run them, VW did not develop and fit them for fun :lol:

As has been said, they direct the cooling air flow to the right place, the heads. My understanding is also the original fan housing has the correct internal vanes profile/shape couple this with the flaps and you have your correct cooling.

Jack.

I don't run them in my own 2110 but I do fit them to engines I do for other people.

Hypocrite or what :lol:

The default position, if you have the spring, should be in the open position. The fan housing needs to be removed to fit the flaps, bar etc so is possible but fiddly, but i don't think you can fit the rod which connects to the thermostat with the engine in, if you are going the whole hog, as this rod needs to thread between the two cylinders from memory.

I recently sourced and fitted the flaps and thermostat to my engine. If you have the bar at the back then you must have the flaps installed (else it has nothing to connect to!). You can see the thermostat, if it's fitted, under the pushrod tubes on the right side of the engine, looks like a set of bellows.

As Trikky2 explains in this link http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55554, the default position, if the bellows fail and split, is "open" and so if you have a thermostat in place and the spring fitted on the bar at the back then there is no reason why the flaps should get stuck in the closed position. Remove the thermostat and the spring will pull the flaps open.

Like Matt-me says, the pushrod determines that the engine has to come out to drop the it down between the cylinders.

You are also correct that you should feel the draught at the back of the bus if the flaps are open.

Many thanks for the information. I will take a look at I installing the thermostate before the winter settles in. Fired up the van the other day and I can feel a lot of air flow underneath the engine so the fins are obviously open. This has taught me a lessen in that I had the whole van renovated when we brought it but never assume everything was put back as it should have been!

Latest posts