Does anyone do a rack and pinnion steering conversion ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARKING MARK

Reaction score
Does anyone know if someone does a rack and pinnion steering rack conversion for early bays ?
I have seen on here people convert their steering box to the late bay type, but with the work involved, including cutting the chassis, i thought might as well go the whole hog and go rack and pinnion which is far superior.
Thanks in advance for your advice. :D

Don't Midland Early Bay do a conversion. Http://www.midlandearlybay.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and isn't that Graham L on here?

Rich

toxicbug66 said:
Don't Midland Early Bay do a conversion. Http://www.midlandearlybay.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and isn't that Graham L on here?

Rich

Doh! His website is being updated i will give him a call to find out more.
Thanks
Mark

Yep the red9 design requires the whole beam to be replaced, lite steer also do a power steering conversion that runs off rack and pinion

That Red9 kit still looks the business, and I will probably go that route myself at some point, but other stuff needs to be done before I splash out 2 grand.

Or fit a Bedford Rascal Rack.

Cheap, simple and enough info out on the web -plus it is just £50 ;) and you time / transfer box (or run it as the MEB kit)

mattp said:
Or fit a Bedford Rascal Rack.

Cheap, simple and enough info out on the web -plus it is just £50 ;) and you time / transfer box (or run it as the MEB kit)

Not heard of this before :shock:
Why does the little rascal have to come from Bedford weve got one or two rascals round here id like to strap to the front of my bus to teach em a lesson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though thanks for the suggestion.

I've done a rascal rack on my splitty, which is a bit harder than a bay...on a bay you have a boltable steering column
cost about £150 all in and the steering is spot on, zero play

1895601_orig.jpg

Just seen CE's prototype K&L bagged beam with steering rack that they're working on for an EB. Looks very nice :mrgreen:

The creative engineering kit looks very well made and quite substantial.

About £800.

Am thinking of buying one.

Tintop said:

About £800.

Wonder what their bagged beam setup will cost?
Didnt get a chance to chat cos had the nippers with us

Tintop said:

About £800.

What did it consist of ?

While i was at the VolksWorld show i had an interesting chat with the folks from lite-steer. Apparently they are working on a conversion kit for early bays that will use the late bay steering box. They assured me that there would be NO chasis cutting involved, however there will be some mods to the steering box [?]. They reckon the kit "could" be available in about a month. No price as yet.
Not rack and pinnion but interesting none the less.
I loved the CE stand, their parts are quality.

I have written the reply below to the best of my knowledge and will edit as necessary (so if I have information wrong please PM me and I'll edit this post) as can only go with what I have seen on the conversions, I may not an automotive engineer but friends of mine are so they have offered me some views on what is out there as we have discussed what to do with the steering on my bus; ultimately I want power steering and a rack on my bus, no particular reason, more that I can do it so will do it ;)

There are a number of ways to convert the steering on the busses, some are off the shelf kits, others home brew.

Of the commercial kits I have seen I have noted the following:

The Midland Early Bay (MEB) & Creative Engineering (CE) new 'Danbury' bay both retain the original VW tie rods and substitute the drag link and steering box for different parts. I am sure the CE kit also uses the original VW pitman arm but not sure on the MEB kit, it either uses a modified/new arm or the stock vw item; either way they are retaining alot of the VW kit and subbing out the box.

On either kit is looks like you remove 1 vw flexi coupler, 1 vw steering box and a vw drag link (2 joints) and sub in parts from either kit above

The Midland Early Bay (MEB) kit is nice and simple and £950. I would guess you replace the VW parts noted above with 1 UJ, 1 rack and the equivalent of 1/2 a drag link (so 1 joint to the pitman arm)

http://midlandearlybay.com/Steering_Racks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Creative engineering do not appear to make a kit for old 'bays' but do a replacment for the new 'Danbury' bays, not sure on price but £850 is what they ask for the splitty ones

If the 'Danbury' bay set up is a varient of the splitty one when remove the VW parts and add back 2 UJ's, a rack, a transfer box and 1 joint to connect to the pitman arm (so similar to the MEB one but a couple more components in the uj and transfer box)

http://www.creative-engineering.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=51&category_id=47&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.creative-engineering.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/LHD_496f17cca42f7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.creative-engineering.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=290&category_id=162&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The conversion done by Rupert on his spit is cheap and simple and a little like what you get from MEB but homebrew and using a modified or replacement pitman arm.

Note that these kits all use the original bay track rods so the steering does what it was designed to albiet with the 'turning' part done by rack and not steering box.

Other than that there is always the R9D suspension AND steering rack, this is a totally different set up to trailing arm and uses wishbones and a rack, pretty sure parts are off a T25 and guess what, a T25 uses wishbones and rack.

I did see the prototype CE airbag and centrally mounted rack kit at VOWO at the weekend, I have 1 question. Bumpsteer?

The lite steer conversion is interesting, will have to offer up an early and late steering box and see what they intend to do, I imagine is is reducing the ribs.

Now, considering the above I will still be fitting a Rascal rack this summer but in a different format to Rupert, more along the lines of the CE kit (insofar as a couple of UJ's, a transfer box and a rack). I have all the pieces there ready to go, but for the last couple of years I have been too busy on other projects (and still am hence this summer, fingers crossed)

Latest posts