door lock

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac2ba6

Reaction score
having a bit of an issue with the passenger door lock it has been fine for years but the other day the mrs shut the door holding the handle in to lock it . Now for some reason it wont unlock on the key ? will lock with the key but not unlock , locks/unlocks fine from the inside .
I have lubed up every part i can get too and its still the same , as you turn the key its like theres something stopping it turning . with the door open if i push the catch on the door itself as if you had shut it , it will lock/unlock fine on the key just wont do it with the door shut ?

Any idea's i can look at before i have to start stripping it down ?

Common fault..its the little spring in the door mech..
Doorlock1A.jpg

Doorlock2B.jpg

I had the same problem and the above poster is correct. i have a right side mech/latch available if thats the side you need and cannot find one closer to you . pm if interested in it

Thanks for the replies ;)

is there a way to fix this or not really ? not a major problem just a bit of a pain

bac2ba6 said:
is there a way to fix this or not really ? not a major problem just a bit of a pain

Yep...remove the mechanism you see in the pics ^^^^ & replace the broken/missing little spring that can be bought from VWH.
It's probably easier if you got nimble fingers.

Hi not a regular on the forums, but I had hours of fun sorting my door locks and tumblers so I have a 1 key fits all locks and found this post on another site very helpful so I hope it's o/k to post the link. Give it a go a bit fiddly but well worth it.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=vw%20type%202%20door%20lock%20overhaul&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.type2.com%2Frvanness%2Flock.htm&ei=-WPvT6WDO4210QXaht38DQ&usg=AFQjCNGD5XW6Qf_4vvlRExaefrdQQ6geVQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Good luck
Mat

Well Mr Matbow, maybe you should get to be a bit more regular hmpphh ?? ;) That was a superb link, with my sense of humour as well, just a few more links like that and the busses will virtually repair themselves ! High hope indeed.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Great link and Thanks for sharing :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Well Mr Matbow, maybe you should get to be a bit more regular hmpphh ?? ;) That was a superb link, with my sense of humour as well, just a few more links like that and the busses will virtually repair themselves ! High hope indeed.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Great link and Thanks for sharing :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

As above...brilliant link that has convinced me to at least think about sorting my passenger door out. :D

Has anyone got an up to date link to the info for sorting door locks? Cheers Andrew.

Hi, try this one.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that, didnt realise i was missing a spring at the back of the barrel! Must find one from somewhere now. Also believe I need the spring in the actual mech, not had the mech out yet, so not sure where that fits exactly. Simple stuff when you know!

Latest posts