Dormobile 71 crossover - Gas Cookers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Camper

Reaction score
Two questions......

What kind of gas are you suppossed to use for my stove....( I've had my camper for a year and am just getting around to connecting up the cooker....didn't realise that there were different kinds of gasses.....)?

Is it safe to store the two gas bottles in the LHS of the engine compartment....as per the contemporary brochures that I have seen...in your opinion?

Any advice much appreciated.

I`ve mine stored in the first (on the left)cupboard in my dormy! Better safe than sorry i suppose!!

I`ve seen bottles in engine bay and it always seems a bit dodgy to me.

Al 8)

mine is strapped inside my 'kitchen' cupboard which is behind the passenger seat

i've seen some on roof racks :shock:

Mines in the cupboard behind the drivers seat - don't forget the hole to expell any leaking gas.......
Thinks butane or propane will be fine (mines got butane at the mo) :D

I use camping gaz and store in the LHS of the engine compartment - the bottle straps down to its ply wood "holder". Safety wise - I always close regulator and the 2 No T taps (as installed by Dormobile) when not in use.

I think as long as you are reasonably sensible there is nothing unsafe about this set up. Modern safety advice / standards would have us all never leaving the house if we followed it to the letter!

Fortunate Son said:
I use camping gaz and store in the LHS of the engine compartment - the bottle straps down to its ply wood "holder". Safety wise - I always close regulator and the 2 No T taps (as installed by Dormobile) when not in use.

I think as long as you are reasonably sensible there is nothing unsafe about this set up. Modern safety advice / standards would have us all never leaving the house if we followed it to the letter!

TBH my thoughts are back in the day when things were new this was a good idea. BUT now it is very advisable to keep gas in its own cupboard inside the van and with a 2 inch vent hole next to it cus if it leaks butane is heavier than air etc .

In todays world of driving and pushing vans harder and faster the engines get hotter and so will the gas thats kept in the engine bay .

We hav all seen the busses on fire at the side of the road and some people have been fortunate to be able to save there busses just in time . How long will a rubber hose on a gas line last in an engine fire ??? at least petrol isnt pressurised to 200 psi

If you do fit it in a cupboard an inexpensive rachet strap will secure it firmly :wink:

Thanks for all the advice....think I may have to re organise the cupboards a bit to make room .......there's no reason that I can't use that big space on the LHS of the engine compartment to store the toolbox or whatever, is there? (well secured, of course)

no you can use it for that but again the engine compartment gets very hot and due to phsics etc you will get heat transfer .....Which is not good if you need to change or adjust sumthing and all of your tools are as hot as a blast furnace :shock:

You may have to resign youself to leaving that space empty or fitting a leisure battery in there :D

Latest posts