Dormobile Roof window seal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ

Reaction score
Hi, I need to replace the window seal in my Dormobile roof, I've bought the new seal which has come as a length of seal rather than a loop and so I was hoping for some advice on fitting and if & how do I join it ??
Any advice & tips gratefully received :D Cheers Nick.

Yep, me! (an its a bleeder of a job) I was looking at the seals I put in earlier today and it looks like they're gonna need doing again - bugger!!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=936&p=8281&hilit=Dormobile+seal#p8281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck Nick

They should come as a seal and a bead for each window. There is a proper tool for putting the bead in,it opens the seal iut and pushes the bead into the recess as you push it along,this pushes the seal out into a snug fit but I have done it with a screwdriver. If you use a screwdriver, be very carefully as its easy to cut the seal, it will also take twice as long.
As for the join, cut the seal slightly longer than needed and then with the two ends facing each other,"make them" fit, this will ensure the two ends are pushing snugly against each other thereby making a good seal.

Have the join for the seal on one side and the join of the bead on the other to give strength and good seal. If you do cut the seal a little short, I'm sure a bit of silicone sealant or dum dum
will do the trick!

Hth , Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was said above, but please don't use a screwdriver - Dormobile used to sell the tool so get it as it makes it easier and less chance of damage :)

Good luck ;)

The tool is called a diamond lacing tool.

I got JK seals for this and struggled. Then I got some from dormobile with higher rubber content and they went in ok. Just a year on though the rubber was beginning to perish.

Cut the seal too long so the ends are rammed together. You can glue the ends with evostick. Stagger the end of the bead so it isn't anywhere near the end of the seal - opposite side of the window? These are prone to leaking to get everything very clean before you start. You need windscreen sealant around the glass and GRP joins -you'll know yourself that the roof is quite flexible when you put it up - windscreen sealant stays softish and is very sticky so stands best chance for sealing IMO.

Good advice above. I did mine a while ago. Pain in backside. I used dormobile seals and thought they would be ok without sealant, but even now there is a slow drip in heavy rain, so flexible sealant would have been better! There are a couple of picture guides on the web if you search....

Don't forget to cut longer and bunch into corners. use some strong twine or washing line to pull seal through if necessary. From memory my Mrs was pushing glass from outside and i was inside pulling seal through with line.....

Good luck!! One of worst jobs...(don't get me started on cab door seals and scrapers!)

Dave

Thanks everyone :D sounds like an awkward job, I'll update how I get on, I'm sure your advice will be a massive help.
Cheers, Nick.

Latest posts