dormy fibreglass roof repair?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonbus

Reaction score
moonbus's roof came up a treat with the boat fibreglass cleaner.. nice and white :D But she has a few cracks/blisters ...will try to take a picy they arent that deep ).. resto chappy said he would sand, fill and paint, but im not sure i want the shinyness of painted fibreglass and would rather restore rater than paint if i can. How should i try to restore it?

Repairs can be done with gel coat which is quite simple but matching the colour precisely will not be so easy.

To paint fiberglass a plasticiser agent has to be added to the paint to make it dry more flexible, to prevent crazing - like they use on plastic bumpers for instance; this also reduces the amount of gloss anyway but other products can be added to further reduce gloss effect through eggshell all the way to mat.

You can also use clear over base finishing with a satin clear if you prefer.

thanks Trikky2.. Will have a go at repairing with gel coat and then get the paintwork sorted after. God to know there are some non shiny options ;)

cant add the picy get error "sorry the board attachment quota has been reached".. Dont think thats me i resized it :msn4:

only took me several years to get back on this :lol:
moonbus has been safely tucked up all that time though so things aren't any worse with the roof

what would be the best way to repair these cracks?
I am saving up for a respray in the near future but wanted to deal with the roof in the meantime.

This will be interesting. I'm in the same boat. My roof has the same marks. Sanded it down and they are still there. Was going to fill sand and gel coat.

Latest posts