driving abroad

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk2matt

Reaction score
right guys me and the mrs are going over to germany and then to southern france next month
were going for a late honeymoon as we didnt have 1 after the wedding in june.

what sort of things are IMPORTANT to take with us?

As we only have til 2nd week in october to sort it out

the van will be having its check over on 1st october

what sort of spare parts will i need and all that?

all comments welcome

Make sure you take a kit of reflective gear (Triangle etc), Halfords sell them. Volksworld have a good 1 off mag out at the moment about keeping your VW on the road. It has all the info you'll need for a tool kit and parts to take with you. I hope you have a great time!!

We went to France a few weeks back. It was our first "driving" trip so we took everything that we were "advised to". i.e. reflective bibs (one for each person in the car), spare bulb kit, warning triangle, GB sticker for car (unless you have the Euro style plates). We also took copies of our driving licences and insurance docs (euro insurance & euro breakdown cover too).

TBH I thought the missus was going OTT by doing all this, but immediately as we drove off the ferry at Cherbourg the car in front of us (which had no GB sticker) was singled out and subjected to an inspection etc.

From what I've been told its the law in france to carry a warning triangle, hi viz vests and a first aid kit in the car?

You will probably also want to take all your usual service items (plugs, points, condenser, dizzy cap, fuel filter etc)
Also wouldn't hurt to have a clutch and accelerator cable on hand as well, and 5 litres of 15/40 Mineral goes without saying really.

Spare bulb kit is a must for France.....along with triangle, Hi Viz, passports, licences, insurance docs, V5, GB sticker etc.....

saying that I worked there for 3 years without being stopped yet one of the guys kept being pulled in the works (uk reg) van.....

Having spent 3 weeks this year in Europe driving through France, Switzerland and Italy... the only thing I carried (apart from the GB sticker, triangle etc...) was my breakdown recovery telephone number just in case! Luckily... 2,000 miles+... didn't need it. With 3 kids and a load of gear I had little space for any tools... apart from a small bottle of oil to give the old girl a little drink occasionally.

Have an exceptional time. France is fantastic... great roads... food... wine... Enjoy!

Latest posts