Drop Spindles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oil Droppers

Reaction score
I've been fitting some Transporter Haus Drop spindles to an early Bay, The issue I have been left with is the tyres are hitting the inner wheel arches, the wheels are Fuch Copies with 185/65/15 Tyres, I have spoke to Transporter Haus this should according to them not be an issue, According to Cool air these should deliver a 3.5" drop to a van that is stock height.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and how was it resolved.

I think most people either a 175/55/15 or a 165/55/15 .

I used 165/55/15 with 3.5" dropped spindles

Just fitted some to my bay and it resulted in about an inch clearance between the tyre and top of arch so every corner or bump it was rubbing badly. Fitted some gaz shocks and instant cure. There's a huge thread in here somewhere specifically about them.

Same setup, running 175 60's. All good unless i load it up or get a big bump. (pic in link)
http://s603.photobucket.com/user/neilswheels/media/Bus/IMG_2108_zpsa6f513a6.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had exactly same issue. Had to change front tyres to 175/65 and had stops slightly adj to stop rub on full lock. All works fine now. Kept the larger tyres on the back..they were fine. It does seem none of the wheel suppliers has a Scooby about this and they should really give a little guidance

Oil Droppers said:
I've been fitting some Transporter Haus Drop spindles to an early Bay, The issue I have been left with is the tyres are hitting the inner wheel arches, the wheels are Fuch Copies with 185/65/15 Tyres, I have spoke to Transporter Haus this should according to them not be an issue, According to Cool air these should deliver a 3.5" drop to a van that is stock height.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and how was it resolved.

Stuart, when you've figured it out, you'll be doing mine!

Ian

Hi mate sorry for slow reply I am on holiday and signal is lacking.
This is how it looked on 3.5" spindles and the above mentioned tyres.
You will still get tyre rub on big bumps and bottom the beam out.
4usapugu.jpg

gyzu5ejy.jpg

Due to the bumping and rubbing I opted for a narrowed beam 3" and air ride.

Driving height
a9ery9u3.jpg

Parking height
sadyru6e.jpg

Cheers
Sam

If you read back through previous threads this is a known issue, if fitting transporterhaus dropped spindles you have to fit them in conjunction with smaller tyres and coil over dampers to control the ride (see Gaz Damper Thread), I wouldn't go any bigger than 175/55/15's on the front to avoid rubbing.

Don't forget what you have done is move the centre line of the wheel up by 3.5 to 4 inches yet still have full suspension travel, there simply isn't enough space in the wheel arch for it not to rub.

Alex is well aware of this and there are loads of threads on here regarding it, unfortunately its not just a case of fitting the dropped spindles and away you go, you have to factor in the cost of tyres and dampers.

Latest posts