Dropped spindles v's Red 9 coilovers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uber cool

Reaction score
Ok anybody had dropped spindles on a standard beam and also then had a red 9 2"-4" coilover setup that can comment on ride quality between the two?

Currently have the Red 9 kit fitted but never happy with the ride quality, so thinking about fitting the torsion leaves back and then going for dropped spindles.

Not had the dropped spindles so not much help really but got the red9 kit fitted. When I first got it I thought it was a bit firm some adjusted it 1 click less on the damping much better ride quality for my liking.

Mate has dropped spindles and i have R9 kit, both on standard beams.

Once i got mine adjusted to suit the R9 kit is better, in my opinion.

You might not get the dropped spindles :msn4:

I rode with a both for ages until i needed a brake upgrade and went for the R9 wishbone, ie WW 2.5" spindles and R9 2-4" EZ rider giving a comfortable ride. The coil overs offer a better ride imo, why are you not happy with yours?

Just

Ive never really liked the principle of the kit with all the weight on the shock and the pivot thing on the end of the rods looks a bit iffy! But dont lets start a mega thread on whether its good or not, just my view on it.

I also want to fit air shox, so need to get away from the coilovers hence the dropped spindle route. Although DS also seem fraught with opinons on whether they are safe or not!

I'm also thinking the Red 9 wishbone kit is not bad money considering it covers my iffy steering box as well :lol:

Why do you say I might not get any?

I'm really not sure it's a good idea to carry the weight of the front axle on the shock mount. That's why I went the dropped spindle route. I'm pretty happy about the process that locks the balljoints in the arms. Although I'm going back to standard cos I have a few problems getting places in a lowered van

Carefully avoiding the safety debates, we used dropped spindles as wanted to go low (but not slammed :msn4: ).
Doesn't matter if you run Red9 or adjusters, after a point the balljoints run out of travel and the ride goes to cr@p.

r73 said:
I'm really not sure it's a good idea to carry the weight of the front axle on the shock mount. That's why I went the dropped spindle route. I'm pretty happy about the process that locks the balljoints in the arms. Although I'm going back to standard cos I have a few problems getting places in a lowered van

Airshocks! :D

You still finding the spindles a bit soggy?

Geeze said:
Carefully avoiding the safety debates, we used dropped spindles as wanted to go low (but not slammed :msn4: ).
Doesn't matter if you run Red9 or adjusters, after a point the balljoints run out of travel and the ride goes to cr@p.

r73 said:

Airshocks! :D

You still finding the spindles a bit soggy?

the dropped spindles do what they say on the tin - stock ride just about 4-5 inches lower - there in lies the problem - loads of travel lower down........bang :lol: what i dont like is the coilovers - they are shit and ruin the ride...........................................................
Airshocks - yes but more money i dont have - so back to standard for me for now, while i have a rethink :?

Not 100% relevant :lol: but I'll say it anyway. I've got adjusters in a stock ball joint beam which is about 5 inches lower than stock, the ride isn't that bad but when the ball joints bottom out you know it! BANG! Which is why I plan on getting a king & link pin beam, I've rode in Grazy's super low panel van several times and the ride is lovely. I dare say the ride is better than a stock height bus...

uber cool said:
Ive never really liked the principle of the kit with all the weight on the shock and the pivot thing on the end of the rods looks a bit iffy! But dont lets start a mega thread on whether its good or not, just my view on it.

I also want to fit air shox, so need to get away from the coilovers hence the dropped spindle route. Although DS also seem fraught with opinons on whether they are safe or not!

I'm also thinking the Red 9 wishbone kit is not bad money considering it covers my iffy steering box as well :lol:

Why do you say I might not get any?

I was refering to the Rob B's thread in Gereral.............lets not go there I guess :msn4:

As for safety with the R9 coilovers on the single stud I get your concerns but the fact is Ive yet to hear of one fail............yet lots of adjusters have, but like you say lets not turn this into a safety opinion thread. That aside, as R73 says if you want low then im not sure spindles are the answer as you end up having to stiffing things up to avoid the wheels hitting the tubs........so you may as well fit an adjuster and have a hard ride.........I went Wishbone as Ive said before, because I needed discs, and the steering needed attention and I just couldnt get the stance I required with the wheel/tyre combination I had at the time, so I bit the bullet and im dead happy. That said I have had conversations with people who have questioned the engineering of the Wishbone settup...............I guess what ever you do will be a comprimise and will ultimatley have to fit your budget.

Just

I have a red9 kit .fitted...it is ok but the get the best results you have to adjust it on the hard side....which of course means less comfort...t
Last weekend I went camping with my wife and kids, and unfortunately Spanish roads are literally coverd in speed bumps. :evil: so my wife started commenting on he ride( does it sound familiar?).
Bottom line is, as I dont want to go super low, just get rid of the ridiculous gap in the front wheel arches, I am seriously considering getting wagens west 2,5 dropped spindles and going back to my leafvspring comfort :lol: ......sounds old man,eh?
I particularly like Dirty Harry'svan and stance(well, who doesn't :mrgreen: )....and he has this set up ....
Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.... ;)

Here was mine on just WW 2.5" spindles

Picture052-1.jpg

creationblue said:
Here was mine on just WW 2.5" spindles

Picture052-1.jpg
Thanks for the pic! It iis helping me making up my mind :D
I also have 15 inch alloys with 185-65-15 fitted which should bring it down just that little bit more.....plus me and the family in it and all the camping gear!

r73 said:
the dropped spindles do what they say on the tin - stock ride just about 4-5 inches lower - there in lies the problem - loads of travel lower down........bang :lol: what i dont like is the coilovers - they are shit and ruin the ride...........................................................
Airshocks - yes but more money i dont have - so back to standard for me for now, while i have a rethink :?

Did the coilovers sort the beam scraping or still an issue even on those?

Geeze said:
r73 said:

Did the coilovers sort the beam scraping or still an issue even on those?

Nah still beam scrapage with 2 up front on bigger dips/ bumps but really over sprung ride. Sorted tyre rub though. Would be better with slightly bigger tyres though. Running 185/60/40. Also we get back to the weight going through the shock mounts :msn4:
Bear in mind it's a westy with a continental roof and an oak interior!

Uber cool have you considered going back to the leavesbut using adjusters with the red 9 shocks?

Had my beam etc all off while I painted under chassis. Had adjusters fitted on my beam while off :idea: and transporterhaus spindles ready to go back on. Watch this space :D hopefully be able to "dial" in suitable height with rear when dropped a spline.

I think the answer for some of you heavier campers is either WW 2 1/2" spindles or TH flipped spindles and adjusters to raise the height up an inch.

ibérico said:
I have a red9 kit .fitted...it is ok but the get the best results you have to adjust it on the hard side....which of course means less comfort...t
Last weekend I went camping with my wife and kids, and unfortunately Spanish roads are literally coverd in speed bumps. :evil: so my wife started commenting on he ride( does it sound familiar?).
Bottom line is, as I dont want to go super low, just get rid of the ridiculous gap in the front wheel arches, I am seriously considering getting wagens west 2,5 dropped spindles and going back to my leafvspring comfort :lol: ......sounds old man,eh?
I particularly like Dirty Harry'svan and stance(well, who doesn't :mrgreen: )....and he has this set up ....
Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.... ;)

;) Thanks, but beware of the fact that the WW spindles are already have a wider track and in combination with aftermarket alloys which got a bad ET you might get some trouble fitting the alloys.

Latest posts