Dropped spindles v's Red 9 coilovers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mattd1984 said:
Uber cool have you considered going back to the leavesbut using adjusters with the red 9 shocks?
had this setup on mu old bus with ah cut n turn beam, was ok.

suppose I was really thinking about modifing so i can fit air shocks to the front and hence the dropped spindles are a way of achieving this, or maybe adjusterson the beam and air shocks would work?

Dirty Harry said:
ibérico said:
I have a red9 kit .fitted...it is ok but the get the best results you have to adjust it on the hard side....which of course means less comfort...t
Last weekend I went camping with my wife and kids, and unfortunately Spanish roads are literally coverd in speed bumps. :evil: so my wife started commenting on he ride( does it sound familiar?).
Bottom line is, as I dont want to go super low, just get rid of the ridiculous gap in the front wheel arches, I am seriously considering getting wagens west 2,5 dropped spindles and going back to my leafvspring comfort :lol: ......sounds old man,eh?
I particularly like Dirty Harry'svan and stance(well, who doesn't :mrgreen: )....and he has this set up ....
Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.... ;)

;) Thanks, but beware of the fact that the WW spindles are already have a wider track and in combination with aftermarket alloys which got a bad ET you might get some trouble fitting the alloys.
That could be bad, I have wider rims(356 chrome copies) and adaptors to go from 112 late bay brakes to 205 rims. So that rules out WW spindles then!

Uber,

Being honest, if had a '68, then wouldn't be looking at either Red9 or bj dropped spindles. :shock:

If your bus is a '68 then it should have the earlier bolt pattern on the beam and the early style chassis legs.
Would just put a split beam (stock width one) in there. Early beam bolt pattern means they bolt straight in.

Will ride lovely and, if you get the brazilian dropped spindles for it, you can bolt up your late bay discs (and adaptors). If you don't go silly low then you shouldn't need to notch the chassis on an early bus either.
Stock split beam is about 20mm narrower than the bay bj beam (loses the width of your adjusters) and the torsion tubes are closer together which gives you about an inch and a half more ground clearance.
All good really :D

Not expensive either, sale of your current beam should fund the split one and k&l dropped spindles are lots cheaper than the bj ones.... 8)

Geeze said:
Uber,

Being honest, if had a '68, then wouldn't be looking at either Red9 or bj dropped spindles. :shock:

If your bus is a '68 then it should have the earlier bolt pattern on the beam and the early style chassis legs.
Would just put a split beam (stock width one) in there. Early beam bolt pattern means they bolt straight in.

Will ride lovely and, if you get the brazilian dropped spindles for it, you can bolt up your late bay discs (and adaptors). If you don't go silly low then you shouldn't need to notch the chassis on an early bus either.
Stock split beam is about 20mm narrower than the bay bj beam (loses the width of your adjusters) and the torsion tubes are closer together which gives you about an inch and a half more ground clearance.
All good really :D

Not expensive either, sale of your current beam should fund the split one and k&l dropped spindles are lots cheaper than the bj ones.... 8)

yeah that's a good point, have to look for a LHD split beam then

Look for a late (64-67) one with the fatter king and link pins.
Ideally you'll need a complete beam (with trailing arms, steering arm, etc).
Come up like that on SSVC quite often (and prob other places too!).

Hi there, I've just fitted a red9 wishbone conversion(which was easy to fit) and for the money I must say its a great bit of kit, the steering on my bus is much better and the ride is pretty good as well, as it comes the ride is a little soft for my liking but very easy so sort. It's well worth thinking of for the money I looked at dropped spindles as well but thought the red9 wishbone conversion was a better option. Hope this helps

Latest posts