Dust seal for front hub bearings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmbsk

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1969 LHD Bay who's front right wheel cylinder failed a few days ago.
To make matters worse I removed the drum to find a damaged dust seal.
I wondered if I had damaged it removing the drum but it is damaged on the outer side of the seal as if someone had stuck a screwdriver in an attempt to pry it out.
Anyway, I ordered a new dust seal along with everything else I needed.

I took the opportunity to clean the old grease out of the drum and front/rear bearings, checked them for wear and re-packed with new grease.
I then attempted to fit the new dust seal (T2, 68-79, 65mm od, 50mm id). It was a tight fit but with the old rubber mallet and block of wood I have it flush.

Now, as this is my first attempt dealing with wheel bearings, I'd very much appreciate if someone can clarify the following for me.
I can see with the new seal installed there is a gap between the bottom of the seal and the inner bearings therefore allowing the bearings to move back and forth within that gap.
I did not notice when removing the damaged seal, same size as new one, but I'm assuming it cannot have been any different and this gap is meant to be there.

As I am in the area of wheels/brakes/axle I think it's best to check if this is correct or am I doing something wrong.
I've watched a few How To videos now but it's not mentioned in any and it's impossible to tell from the video.
Unfortunately one of the new FTE cylinders I purchased appears to also be faulty so I'm in no rush but would really appreciate some wisdom from anyone who has the knowledge when you get the chance.

Thanks.

When the drum is installed on the spindle, the grease seal lip rides on the spacer ring which is pressed on the spindle inboard of the
inner bearing, so yes there is a gap between the two, and the bearing is "loose" inside the drum when not installed.

The Bentley service manual has a cross-section drawing of the front axle components: Fig. 1-1, Front Axle chapter.

Latest posts