Earliest reg for a Crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simshaz

Reaction score
Hello
Just finished renovations a Crossover i always assumed was a 72, i have recently got the reg documents back from the DVLA as it had never been registered UK after it came in from Arizona 4 years ago.
DVLA have put it on a 71 (J) plate ... not overly concerned but wondered what the earliest date was for the Crossovers

First possible date would be 1 August 1971. Last possible would be 31 July 1972.

The registration year and VW model year change both changed in 1st August 1972. So anything registered after 1st Aug '72 would be on a K, meaning you'd not see a '72 model year bus on a J plate unless it had it through unusual circumstances :)

Mine was September 71 according to the reg doc, will check that date now i think about it ... she is a Crossover on a J though :)

Plenty of vans get incorrect registrations- you see some on 'e' plates which is wrong.

Crossovers should all be on K Plates
I had a 73 on an L which is the first Late Bay
71 vans are J and are the last true early Bays
As Clem says E plates are wrong on Early Bays
As are J & L reg crossovers
:msn4:

When I got my van in 95 the PO had it on a
Q plate
And I had documents to say it was manufactured in 72 DVLA issued age related K
Plate even though van was built February 72

I've had 2 different types of crossover.

The 1st was on an L plate. Low lights and big back vents, wrap around bumpers and 6 month only brake parts.

The one i have now is a bit more subtle, looks full early with the low lights and crescent vents but has the 5x112 wheels with discs up front. That came in from South Africa and has been given a J plate.

halfpint_fighter said:
I've had 2 different types of crossover.

The 1st was on an L plate. Low lights and big back vents, wrap around bumpers and 6 month only brake parts.

The one i have now is a bit more subtle, looks full early with the low lights and crescent vents but has the 5x112 wheels with discs up front. That came in from South Africa and has been given a J plate.

First van sounds like a 72 crossover that was registered later than it should have been. Your current van is correct for a 71 - mostly early aesthetics but discs and small five stud pattern

Mine is a 1st august 71 crossover, she was also type 4 engined, again must have been one of the first, always been fitted with a 1600 since i've had her but has the type 4 air filter brackets etc, no engine hatch though as the very early ones didn't have it fitted.

stodge said:
Mine is a 1st august 71 crossover, she was also type 4 engined, again must have been one of the first, always been fitted with a 1600 since i've had her but has the type 4 air filter brackets etc, no engine hatch though as the very early ones didn't have it fitted.

If the production date was 1 August 71 that could be the oldest crossover about, amazing :D ... unless anyone knows different?

our 72 crossover Devon is on a L plate...purchased 26/9/1972 from Black & White Garages Evesham, first registered 1/10/1972
cheers
Rob

Need to check again on production date on M plate. she is the 8255th bus of 71 /72 model year which indicates august 71 build. So long since i checked M plate i've forgotten but pretty sure that is 1st August, shes wrapped up in her winter cover at the mo and i'm too lazy to go have a look.

wasn't registered until 18th Jan 72 as was bought and converted by Dormobile.

Latest posts