Early bay workhorse

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just wondering how many of you out there use their bays for work or everyday use?

I've had beetles and a t25 in the past as hobbies cars but the time has finally come to get my dream... an early bay :D

The only thing holding me back is I started working fot myself 2 yrs ago and now need a van for the odd bit of work!
I only need a van a coupLe of times a month so my heart says buy a bay panel van and combine work with pleasure.... only problem is my head says buy a boring white van and keep waiting for the day I can get a bus as can't afford both!

Be interested to hear how many of you use your vans for work and not just sitting in the garage! All opinions welcome as been struggling to convince myself an early bay will work.

Cheers
Bernie

An old friend of mine always says , "if you want it, buy it!!!!"
Then if you say " I can't afford it" "the times not right" etc etc
he says, "ahhh, you don't really want it then!!!!"

I have a bay panel (71)

The only way i could afford it / justify it , was for a works vehicle

Im self employed mainly garden work and handyman stuff , But that means i can claim all the repairs / petrol / tax (although nil ) / insurance /tracker / etc back against the business ( within reason)

Its been great as a marketing tool , people recognise it , it stand s out from the white van man !

However .. Its off the road .. engine died , new engine rebuild needed ( I'm doing myself ) so at the moment not the most reliable , but thats cause its new to me , once I've fixed the faults and got it dialled in should all be good and reliable .

I only work locally , daily drive is about 12 miles

i can get the mowers strimmers etc in it , tools hide under the rock and roll bed , and still get to camp / have weekends away

but ….. its off the road

when it works its brilliant! when its not its a pain !, i have an estate car as a back up

It depends on how critical it is to your job ,

Im a newbie , had nothing but trouble from it , but that was reflected in the price i paid , i knew to an extent what i was getting into .

What i can say is that feeling in the morning going to work in a bay and not some generic box is "priceless "

my two pence worth

Chico

I used mine for working fairly local but working further away it was a killer on fuel and a bit slow so I got a T4 for work which helps 34-36 mpg, I would say if it's fairly local and for the odd day then go for it.

I us mine every day , well I don't in winter or just for fun
ive got all the heater bits but it takes forever to get warm im sure a propex heater would sort this
fuel is twice what mk2 jetta uses but its makes me smile and I brought it to drive it ,
look cool first sort problems afterwards your have early bay ! Which has got to be good
frazer

I have a daily for work, but if the weather is nice and it`s not too far then I occasionally take my bay ;) Fab place to have a tea break too, and the smiles per gallon on the way in and the way home helps take it off that you`ve been to work. I`m ;) working a bit too far afield at the moment which is a shame. Go a little carefull though as it`s so so easy to rack up a lot of extra miles then all of a sudden you`ve gone over your allowance with the insurance company, this happened to me a year or two back,, I thought I was gonna get the cane :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Great combination,,,,,,,,, bit of work,,,,,,,,, bit of fun,,,,,,,,, perfect :mrgreen:

I am seriously contemplating using mine as a work van one day
i am a painter, i have a ute with a canopy at the moment which is great,a/c,heater,power !
My bus wont be on the road for another year or 2,so i have time to make up my mind.
If i decide to do it i will do a subaru motor/gearbox transplant for mileage,reliability,power
and probably a/c

Latest posts