Early Devon pop-top solar panel cable routing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moj_dub

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wanting to route some solar panel cables through the pop top into the rear quarter of the van... Question is - can I drill through the fibreglass lower section (above the van roof itself)? I have two gland fittings to seal it properly, which have M12 threads in them. I think there's a wooden or metal frame in that section but not sure. Don't really wanna drill a massive hole without being able to use it!

I remember an old thread on here or volkszone where someone took the entire roof off, but can't find it. Anyone got a link? Or pictures of a roof dismantle?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

are you mounting the panel permanently to the roof? I have same kind of Devon pop top as you, had it all off and refurbed - you could drill through the fibreglass plinth but I would avoid it as opens way to cracking and crazing and hitting the tin roof behind it...and anyway I like to keep things orignal and unmolested...

I place a solar panel on the roof section above the rear hatch when I need it, sitting in the gutter and bungy corded on the top edge, avoiding masking ANY of the PV cell surface, and run the cables through to connectors inside the rear right hand cupboard feeding through the rear tailgate bottom RH corner - there's enough space sandwiched into the rubber seal even with the gate fully shut - trial and error for the exact place to fit without crushing the cables...

use proper PV DC cables with weatherproof connectors - availabe on ebay of course - and connect to proper PV controller unit to manage the feed to leisure battery...all well fused of course...

good luck!!

cheers
Rob

Hi Rob - BJ1 says hi, he's my dad and claims to know you...!!

Yeah it will be permanently mounted with Sikaflex, and I've got a charge controller (almost finished the wiring) mounted just in front of the rear cupboard. The solar panel already has some decent PV cables and I have spare length if necessary. Connector wise I've got some MC4 connectors but they will be in the van. The main reason I need it permanent is I'm going travelling round Europe and will be off-grid for days leaving the van while I go mountain biking/surfing.

I've found pics of the inside of that section and it looks do-able to drill it but I agree it's better to leave things original. Not sure what else I could do to get the cables through there though...

well well hi to all the Johnson clan!! would be good to catch up with y'all sometime again...

why don't you perm mount the panel to the pop top roof - then you can drill through the metal sheet of the pop top and run the cables direct into the interior roof space - run them along the base of the concertina back to the rear cupboard - when you lift the pop top there will be sufficient slack cable laying flat along the van roof to lift with the pop top - you would only have to drill through the metal sheet and weatherseal the opening - there is a wide space of single metal sheet between the insulated part of the pop top roof and the rubber seal joining it to the aluminium profile frame...

at the mo I opt for 2 solutions:
1. when parked up and leaving the van unattended I leave the PV panel inside, on the front dash and connected back through the van to the controller unit (which I have mounted on the inside of the rear RH cupboard). Admittedly this may not always be the best for sun capture, but it's secure (and simple like me). whenever poss we park the van so the windscreen will be facing the sun most of the day...

2. when on site and we are living in the van I place the PV panel on the roof wherever it can best catch the sun and weight it/bungey it and wire it to the control unit through the rear hatch (open or shut dep on weather/pesky invertebrates etc).

have a great trip - envy envy!!
see ya!
Rob

Should've mentioned that I've put a JK roof cap on to stop it leaking! I like your idea for a portable panel inside the van - I'm going to get some T connectors and another panel if I find this isn't enough.

So taking on board some of your suggestions, I've finished the mounting and exterior cabling. In the end I drilled through the roof cap and Devon aluminium edge to route the cables underneath the overhang, and into the small gap in the top of the bellows. The loop for raising is then inside the van. Here are some photos for anyone considering doing it:

^ probably going to get a cat-track for the interior routing and cable guiding... they almost reached the controller too! Seems a shame to cut the 2m cables I bought but needs doing.

Latest posts