Early/late front panels....... How does it all go together??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_B

Reaction score
You can get blanking plates for where the indicators are on the newer front, but then you need to flatten the bump where the badge is and then cut holes for the indicators lower down.

Another option would be to get a good front off a proper early bay, not overly easy to find, and maybe hardy where you are!

Be nice to get it looking as it should.

don't think the bump is on that one said it was changed in the 70s its only in the last 5 or so years they put the stupid bump on it

Early fronts were joined to the van exactly the same way as lates. Spot welded to the inner screen surround panel and air box, wrapped round the a pillar and tacked in a few places and spot welded at the bottom. On early vans the front panel extended to the bottom of the inner valance and was spot welded there obviously, on late vans the front panel was shorter and joined the inner valance above the deformation panel. If you wanted to change yours back, you'd need to cut just above the seam, weld in a new lower front section and make up some indicator mounts, then blank the late indicator holes up.
Apart from the pressing around the indicators and the seam at the bottom, the rest if the panel 'shape' is the same.

I would stick with the majority of what you have lee, you can get a bottom repair which will solve the majority of you ugly's and the other panels needed are the indiacator block offs as said above.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Lower-front-panel-68-72-Tall-to-head-lamps-211805035AR_act_shop.product_pID_52380_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(the pic is currently upside down have asked it to be sorted)

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Indicator-block-off-plates-pr-211805050_act_shop.product_pID_196064_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only other thing you will need to fabricate is the bracket for holding the indiactors which are very simple.

Hope this helps dude :mrgreen:

If you haven't got all the panels already Schofields actually do a custom one for £345 I think it was, the only thing that I find weird is they don't take the bump out.

Also, there are import front clips on eBay for an eye watering £650.00

I'd say if the work's been done well, leave it. You say it was done in the 70's so it would almost certainly be a genuine vw front panel. You'd be adding inferior quality metal and needlessly cutting and rewelding a good panel. Wait until it rusts then do it.

If money is no object :shock:

Then:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Early-Bay-Window-Camper-Front-Panel-/330985709332?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d10491f14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can do it for you, but I think you're crazy ;)

Have a look at this resto thread I've started. I really wouldn't replace the whole front unless you need to, but if you decide to, can I have the old one please? :D You could cut the front above the seam and weld in an early lower front and indicator blanking panels which would leave most of the german metal in place. Much better to do this than replace the whole front I think.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

monkiboy said:
There is a reason I have decided to to take the plunge.....

"Someone" has hit the front panel.... Damaging it!!!! So I am taking this chance to go back to STOCK.....

And I would prefer to fit an "original" panel......

That's a shame, hope they're paying for it! Good luck with it :D

Have just read this thread for the first time, sorry to hear about the recent damage.

Tnought you might be interested to see the following pics/description as I recently fitted a later front panel to a '72 bus but wanted to retain the correct look.

I must admit I wasn't too fussed about the raised badge bump as I've seen them with a larger VW badge right over them and it's barely noticable. I decided it was better to leave it there than risk introducing the opportunity for more rust by cutting it out and welding it it flat. (no chance of distortion either by not touching it!)

The new late panel took a bit of fiddling to get it to fit perfectly but I was very pleased with it.

I then blanked off the top indicator holes and modified the grill aperure to have rounded corners instead of the much squarer later corners....................

A thin skim of filler......................

To fit the new lower repair panel I cut back the main panel just below the raised centre section, leaving enough metal below to weld to.....

The new lower panel fitted. In the indicator holes you can see the brackets I'd made for securing the indicators as the repair panel does not have these fitted and the originals were too far gone to transfer them from the old panel.......

The completed panel......

The whole conversion part was straight forward and relatively quick. Fitting the main panel panel was actually more involved and awkward.

Cheers

Latest posts