Early westy birch ply interior panels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dveedub

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been trying to find someone who is making the birch ply interior panel sets for a 69 westy. I know that Rackhams do them but the last couple of times I tried to place an order no one got back to me.

I stumbled upon SJH joinery a couple of months ago and was elated as the they also did the curved hinge cover section at the rear of the bus that I have never seen anyone else do before.
I was gutted to find out this week when trying to contact them that they have ceased trading.

Someone on here kindly pointed me in the direction of custom shop designs who produce different kits but not the curved rear section or the slight variations on the sliding door and tailgate panels on the earlier westy panels.

If anyone knows if SJH are now trading under another name or of anyone who is doing the type of kit I described please let me know. It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi, I've just done mine with the help of a carpenter business, not the cheapest way to do it but at least I could take panels back to be twicked if needed.
We are in the process of making the rear curved panel as we speak, this is not an easy job as I found out, but with money we are getting there.
I tended to use more of the birch and made many mistakes but got there in the end, main problem is early or all Westfalias used 3m ply, today you can only get 4m ply, I have this sanded off to give me the 3m and it makes it easier to bend to get it in.

Ron

Many thanks for your input Ron, it is much appreciated.

If you could give any updates on how you are getting on and info on how best to carry out the job that would be great.

I must say I am not relishing the idea of doing the job myself but if I can't find anywhere that are making them I will have to give it a go.

Thanks again,

Dave.

Latest posts