• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

EB Steering Box and Disc Brakes (from 1971)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp

Reaction score
Having upgraded my steering box to a Bedford rascal rack my old box is surplus to requirements. It was in good working order when removed never had any issues with MOT and little play. £40

Also have complete set of disc brakes including calipers, discs, carriers and hubs also rear drums/ arms all in good working order when removed now upgraded to Porsche 4 pots all round so not required £100 the lot.

Collection from either Bristol or Chippenham, Wilts preferred as these are heavy items. Am prepared to post.. but will cost no doubt.

Will these bolt straight to a '68? Will I need a servo to run the disc brakes?

August 8 I will probably be coming back from Cornwall so could stop off on the way though, are you available then?

They are non servo so no issues there.

I believe you would just need to undo the nuts on your top and bottom ball joints and bolt these ones on, attach the brake pipe (this may need a bit of modding but nowt to it I should think) bleed and away you go !

Hmm that sounds a bit too easy but I'm pretty sure it should be that easy worth checking out first... but I;m sure some else will have done it.

I know the hub carrier will fit as I'm using a '68 one with my Porsche set up.

yep - thats correct Jp - fronts will go str8 on as a complete assembly. Obviously Cunning plan would need to change to bay 112 PCd wheels too or run an adaptor for the original wide 5s.

Hi dude!

Dont suppose the steering box would fit a 70 model?? Mines got wide 5 drums.........

My box has play I think, a spare one wouldnt go amiss I guess.....

Oh! it is LHD BTW.... :)

Alistair

jp said:
Having upgraded my steering box to a Bedford rascal rack my old box is surplus to requirements. It was in good working order when removed never had any issues with MOT and little play. £40

Also have complete set of disc brakes including calipers, discs, carriers and hubs also rear drums/ arms all in good working order when removed now upgraded to Porsche 4 pots all round so not required £100 the lot.

Collection from either Bristol or Chippenham, Wilts preferred as these are heavy items. Am prepared to post.. but will cost no doubt.

jp said:

I believe you would just need to undo the nuts on your top and bottom ball joints and bolt these ones on, attach the brake pipe (this may need a bit of modding but nowt to it I should think) bleed and away you go !

Hmm that sounds a bit too easy but I'm pretty sure it should be that easy worth checking out first... but I;m sure some else will have done it.

Okay, as long as its all there Ill take it.. Pick up August 8 okay? On way back from Cornwall ;)

aogrady said:
Hi dude!

Dont suppose the steering box would fit a 70 model?? Mines got wide 5 drums.........

My box has play I think, a spare one wouldnt go amiss I guess.....

Oh! it is LHD BTW.... :)

Alistair

jp said:

Mine is from a RHD bus.. I have no idea if they are interchangeable or not ! anyone ?

cunning plan said:
jp said:

Okay, as long as its all there Ill take it.. Pick up August 8 okay? On way back from Cornwall ;)

Not a problem... I have just remembered from looking at a pic that there are no wheel studs as I removed them as they were extra long ones used to run alloys.. I ended up selling the studs with the alloys. Sorry forgot about this they are simple to replace btw.

Here is a pic of the fronts
brakes.jpg

jp said:
cunning plan said:
jp said:

Not a problem... I have just remembered from looking at a pic that there are no wheel studs as I removed them as they were extra long ones used to run alloys.. I ended up selling the studs with the alloys. Sorry forgot about this they are simple to replace btw.

Here is a pic of the fronts
brakes.jpg

Okay looks alright, have the discs had much wear?
How are your 4 pots? Awesome I figure? :p
Cant I just take the studs out of my drums? But thanks for letting me know if I cant take them out of the drums ill make sure I get some ordered before I get the stuff from you and the new weedeater beam :)

cunning plan said:
Okay looks alright, have the discs had much wear?
How are your 4 pots? Awesome I figure? :p
Cant I just take the studs out of my drums? But thanks for letting me know if I cant take them out of the drums ill make sure I get some ordered before I get the stuff from you and the new weedeater beam :)

Discs are good as are pads
Haven't tested four pots out yet but fingers x'd they'll be good.
Not sure about studs from your drums if they're same size as the rear ones then they'll be a bit short.
Hmmm weedeater beam cool :D
I'll PM you my details
cheers

Latest posts