EB Wiring Looms

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
Hi all,

At Dubfreeze I was speaking to a guy from VWLooms.com who sells wiring looms strangely enough! I want to replace mine with a new one, looking at the pack he had for my 70 it looks very detailed and it also looked like a lot of work went in to it. Complete with matching colours to the original, and also to the right length and all named with full colour diagram.

I think all in all, for the loom, an extra bit that goes from the fuse box (I assume), to the dash cluster and a split charge system it was £450. I don't want to do the guy any injustice as he seemed a nice bloke, but has any one use him/the company before? I've noticed that you can get them cheaper (around £270), if memeory serves, but I assume they don't include the the splitcharge wiring, and also the wiring to the dash cluster.

Does anyone have any opinions as to why I should not spend my hard earned cash with him, or on the flip side, why I should?

Ta!

Good call, forgot about Ron ^^^^^

Whistler, I'd be interested to know what any of the above now charge for a loom as tempted to get a new one myself

Heritage don't do them.

C&C don't do up to a 70.

Machine7 don't do bus looms.

Schofields, couldn't find anything. Don't like the website, gave up, had to turn it off.

Volksgoods states from £229 for RHD/LHD USA. I will call for a UK one.

I will call Ron tomorrow.

mattp said:
Any update?

I am awaiting replies/calls from Peter and Ron. Someone else has also asked this recently and someone has thrown http://rapidfitlooms.co.uk/ in to the mix as well.

I really like the idea of modular looms, although I am only going on the meaning of modular in the PSU sense in a PC! Which was a bloody great idea. If it does come in parts then that would probably make the installation easier, and I would also assume any problem finding later down the line and also replacing said problem part.

However, I still have only seen VWLooms in the flesh and although, all in it seems to be the most expensive, I did like the look, weight and feel of the loom he had to offer. And he will be at Volksworld as well.

I've always liked the idea of doing my own loom, they aren't too complicated but I'd imagine by the time you've bought all the correct wire, connectors and spent hours making it then it's probably better value buying one especially at the £270 end of the price range. Would be a satisfying project though!

67westy said:
I've always liked the idea of doing my own loom, they aren't too complicated but I'd imagine by the time you've bought all the correct wire, connectors and spent hours making it then it's probably better value buying one especially at the £270 end of the price range. Would be a satisfying project though!

The VWLooms guy I was speaking to a Dubfreeze said that just to put all the connectors on took 4-5 hours :shock: I can see why someone would do it, and I am sure that I could, but there is something about just buying it. So far I have tried to do everything my self, but the loom I fancy just treating my self :)

It's all there, all colour coded, all instructed and I would hope that it would work. Knowing my luck, if I did one my self (or even just fixed the one that's there already), I would spend weeks finding the problem and even then it wouldn't work!

Doesn't seem to be something that many people have done though (guaging on replies).

I am going to be thinking about making an order in the next day or so (in case they aren't off the shelf).

So does anyone have any other views/opinions before I pick one of the suppliers?

Ta.

I will be looking to get my loom replaced at the end of this show season for sure. I'll be very interested to see how this pans out.
Subscribed ready for future updates on this topic.

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Foz said:
I will be looking to get my loom replaced at the end of this show season for sure. I'll be very interested to see how this pans out.

No pressure on me to make the right choice then :p

I do like the rapidfit looms (they are modular). I am thinking it would generally just be easier to fit than one long loom. I am also assuming that you can 'add' to it failry easily.

I need to get ringing around and asking, both Ron and Peter came back very politely, makes the choice so much harder.

my friend in house nere me said too use

and i buyed a battery lead set

they make for many autos

http://www.autosparks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click on , wiring harness prices

then click on , vw badge

karl

I got mine from Peter at Volksgoods, had a few teething troubles but he was on hand to sort it out and very fair. The diagram could be a bit easier to read (according to the fella that fitted it) but all in all I was really pleased with it :)

Whistler said:
Foz said:

No pressure on me to make the right choice then :p

I do like the rapidfit looms (they are modular). I am thinking it would generally just be easier to fit than one long loom. I am also assuming that you can 'add' to it failry easily.

I need to get ringing around and asking, both Ron and Peter came back very politely, makes the choice so much harder.

How much were they asking for their looms??

Sent from my VS TOUCHTAB 10.1DC using Tapatalk 2

I put a rapid fit loom in my bus...... Modular yes, straight foward no :suicide: I had to chop about and modify the dash, hazard light & head light sections for it to work. Not been any trouble since I fitted it but it was a f*cking bastard to wire up and I had an electrical engineer helping me :lol:

Karl

Hmmm, a couple things about RapidFit looms then.

So we are narrowing down to VWLooms, Volksgoods or Ron.

Maybe VWLooms as I have seen those in the flesh, and I must say I was impressed with the quality.

I had no problems with my rapid fit one, relly friendly and helpful guy too!

Latest posts