Ebay Power steering conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
Has anybody bought or seen one of these power steering conversion kits?

They seem cheap at £250 for what's otherwise an expensive conversion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Type-2-Bay-Window-Power-steering-conversion-kit-Camper-Split-Bus-Early-T2-/251501230232?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3a8ea43898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gninnam said:
I haven't but looks fugly :msn4:

I concur :shock: Not the best looking install. You'd have to wear some knee pads when driving.

Doesn't MattP have a conversion kit for sale??? Uses a Bedford Rascal and T25 set up. Just a thought if your going down that route ;)

Little bit similar to lite steer ,
http://www.litesteer.com/gallery/2-uncategorised/2-early-bay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lot cheaper though !

The main reason I wouldnt go for this is because of the looks - unless it was some how boxed in and out of sight!

I wonder how noisey the column assist power steering is? The noise level from the power steering systems is something that NVH engineers in automotive companies have to manage...needless to say the cheaper the unit generally the noiser. Also, rack assist is generally more expensive then column assist pumps and can be mounted under the bonnet away from the passengers' ears. I know we dont have racks, but just informing you

under spec'd pumps/motors (cheaper) work harder and therefore noiser

just some general information and nothing specific to either of these power steering conversion companies

NaFe

Talking from experience we fitted a Lite Steer unit to a 72 on Saturday, its the first of the newer type they now produce that we have fitted and I have to say I was impressed with the install and the quality of engineering, its a lot more than the one on ebay but I'd seriously consider one as it made a massive difference to the steering at low speed and is speed sensitive so tightens up as you get faster, its not everyones taste but it made the bus far easier to manoeuvre.

You cant get away from the fact the unit operates on the column but at least Lite Steers are powered coated black and the control module sits under the dash.

Graham,

Its good to hear some first hand experience of this! Just to clarify, I was not doing anyone's engineering work down, but pointing out the little I have learnt in the past 12months of working for an automotive company. To retro fit something like this takes some doing?

Out of interest, you mentioned that the steering is speed dependant. Cars these days are steering wheel angle velocity and vehicle velocity dependant in terms of assisted power and damping. How do they sense vehicle speed as everything on the vehicle is mechanical in terms of detecting speed. I presume some speed sendor fitted somewhere?

Did you ever consider a rack assist steering rack when you designed your steering rack ugrade? may be possible to maintain a more stock/cleaner look in the cab area?

Nath

Haveacamper said:
Graham,

Did you ever consider a rack assist steering rack when you designed your steering rack ugrade? may be possible to maintain a more stock/cleaner look in the cab area?

Nath

I always thought that option could be a better one , but maybe more involved??

Latest posts