Eberspacher BN2 Location.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisco69

Reaction score
Got myself a BN2 12v heater off ebay. Looking at the archives on the samba it looks like it should be fitted in the engine bay.
The problem is I have twin carbs and I can't see that it's gonna fit.
Could I fit this under the rear seat?
Would it be unsafe to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

I 'think' that these mainly were fitted to splits and bugs, the one fitted to bays was the BN4 which fits on the tray opposite the battery.

On a bus it would have been fitted with a special bulkhead which in effect is a rectangular hole, the pipe work then runs through to the rear compartment.

Theoretically a BN2 will fit, but its a right pain if your bus is a walk through due to the spare tyre holder taking up so much room, as for fitting under the seat that is possible but the exhaust would have to be very very well insulated as it passed through the body for obvious reasons, heat. fumes and burning yourself or others for starters. And you need a fuel supply in there as well.

Lots of work !!

Matt

hi frisco not sure if it helps but i have a d1 eberspacher heater in my bay its mounted in the passenger side footwell just in front of the kick plate it does'nt take up much room the wxhaust outlet is under the front of the van and i have a small diesel tank inside the glove box.seems to work ok i'm going camping for the 1st time in the van this weekend so ill let you know
cheers
mark

Cheers Guy's.
I found these on the samba. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bn2_installation_instructions_12_1976.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like they were fitted to bays but the photos are not very good.

The warm air outlet on mine does have a rectangular end but I don't know if it is for use on a bay.
I think I'll try and fit it in the engine bay some how and make my own warm air outlet and fixing brackets.

Thanks again!!!

Matt.

They can be fitted under the seat if you have the space - safety wise they are not much different to a hotbox or other gas heater. I seem to remember they were fitted under the seat on the old type4 cars.

Latest posts