• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Edited! Washer switch needed .

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbear

Reaction score
Hi all, as above I'm after a complete wiper switch for my 70 bay, also after a uncracked foam section of the dash.
Cheers Brett.

mattp said:
LHD or RHD -I assume you don't want the dash top, just the padded rail and handle?
Sorry I forgot the important bit :? It's lhd and yes it's the foam rail part, shouldn't need though handle.

I have a NOS SWF switch ( albeit without the knob) available.
£40 posted, PayPal as a gift please.
1036964.jpg

1036963.jpg

1036962.jpg

sparkywig said:
Bigbear said:
Sorry all. It's the washer switch I need and not the wiper switch.

Same thing on an early, washers operate by pressing the button in the centre of the wiper control.
That's odd then, I've got a wiper switch (which is fitted and works) but also got a toggle switch that someone has fitted in place of another switch which operates the washers? Perhaps I've got something else missing that's been replaced with the washer? Il get some pics up tommorrow.

sparkywig said:
Somebody has fitted an electric washer pump with separate switch. Original switch operates a valve that releases the water from a pressurised washer bottle.
Right well that explains it, it looks shite aswell having a toggle switch hanging out of the dash! Could I wire an original switch to operate it?

No, because the original switch isn't electric, the washer system works on pressurising the washer bottle with a pump.
There's a thread in the sticky section that shows how to convert an original wiper/washer switch to electric operation.

Ok mate, il check that out. Cheers for your help. ( I did wonder why I couldn't find a washer switch on Vw heritage etc?) :lol: :?

sparkywig said:
No, because the original switch isn't electric, the washer system works on pressurising the washer bottle with a pump.
There's a thread in the sticky section that shows how to convert an original wiper/washer switch to electric operation.

I did this mod on my switch. One change I made was to epoxy the spst switch nut to the washer switch body. This will allow for some final adjustment by winding the spst in or out.
Works a treat!

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

One word of caution if you decide to do this mod - I did it and ended up with a half-working wiper switch. The slow mode doesn't work, and the high speed mode doesn't return the wipers to the down position - I have to time when I switch it off to make sure they return to the bottom of the windscreen. Not a major issue, but a bit irritating.

amoledigginginahole said:
One word of caution if you decide to do this mod - I did it and ended up with a half-working wiper switch. The slow mode doesn't work, and the high speed mode doesn't return the wipers to the down position - I have to time when I switch it off to make sure they return to the bottom of the windscreen. Not a major issue, but a bit irritating.

If you are talking about the mod for converting the OG push in washer from air pressure operation to electric it shouldn't affect the wiper operation.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This mod just adds a push button contact with its own wiring to an electric pump fitted near the washer bottle reservoir.

Maybe you have an earthing problem or need to check the wiring :)

33bitofajumphere_zpsa5cbbcc5.jpg

Yep, that's the mod I did, and somehow I went from fully working switch to the symptoms I describe. I'm sure plenty of people have done it without issue, but there is a risk you could do some damage to the wiper switch in the process. Presumably it was while drilling through, I've managed to do the damage. And yes, the wiring and earthing has all been checked.

Latest posts