Electric Fuel Pump Relay Wiring - Help Please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogRoy

Reaction score
I’m fitting a HUCO low pressure fuel pump to my ’69 Westy. For safety I’m going to fit a relay (Halford’s item 184161 HEF 557 12V 30A 5 pin) in the system. I’ve found this wiring diagram in the archives here.

What I need help with please, is: 1. I’m running a dynamo not an alternator - is this still OK? 2. If yes, can I connect the “To Alternator warning light” to the blue wire at terminal 61 on the Voltage regulator, and; 3. Can I connect “+12V from Ignition fed fuse” to the black wire at terminal 15 on the coil?
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

It will work with a dynamo, if the blue wire is the field output the this is correct and yes the coil wired will be fine. I would also consider wiring in an inertia cutout switch that will cut the pump in case of an accident. One from a Rover works fine, £10 from eBay.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Great info here. I'm about to fit this relay however I've got another question for those who know.

The push button switch. Should this be a momentary switch or an on/off? Mounted on the dashboard

I've got a push button mounted next to the relay in the engine bay. It's only used if the system needs priming and the carbs/fuel lines are empty.

Oh I see so if you run out if petrol or you've drained the system for some reason.. engine out etc. cheers dude

It's a trap !

Latest posts