Electronic fuel pump issues.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FistralBays

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a second van, 1700 '72 crossover Cali import and seem to have developed an issue with my electronic fuel pump.
Initially when I bought the van the fuel pump started once the ignition was turned on and produced a loudish ticking noise which could be heard inside the cab. This ticking continued for a short while after the engine had started and then seemed to quieten down after about 30 seconds. I have been told that this was normal...
However, recently the ticking noise hasn't stopped and is now constant, even after long runs.
Also, since this problem arose, I now have a smell of fuel inside the cab??

Question is: Should this ticking noise continue and if not, how do I rectify this issue? Also, would this problem with the fuel pump cause a back up in the fuel line somewhere causing the fuel smell inside?

I'm a relative novice when it comes to this 1700 engine but am learning very quickly :)

sounds like you have a fuel leak, check all the hoses are good. I'd replace anyway for piece of mind. Just done mine :mrgreen:

Needle valve in float chamber may be leaking under pressure. Fire risk so fix it before you drive it.

FistralBays said:
uber cool said:
sounds like you have a fuel leak, check all the hoses are good. I'd replace anyway for piece of mind. Just done mine :mrgreen:
This an engine out job? as the tank is behind the firewall?

Yep it is an engine job i'm afraid :(

Watch out - those 125 psi Bosch pumps aren't cheap - I think I must've replaced six of them one time, with the FI Vanagons.

Before you do that, check the fuel pump - do you have an inline filter in front of it so you can check? Chances are the pump may be filled with rust/sediment from the tank, hence the noises. More than ever, check your hoses and the intake side of the pump to make sure it's not filled with reddish junk. Also order another pump. They're like £100 quid, but third party non-Bosch ones are cheaper but I would avoid them. Try ordering a used Bosch pump. Used to always carry one, as cheap insurance. :)

Latest posts