EMPI gearshift problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busboy1971

Reaction score
Hello yet again,
Having issues with my new EMPI gearshift. Do i need to keep the the plate on (in the picture) if so is this correct way round?
I am struggling to get second gear from third without the horrible crunch from reverse but when the bus is still i cant select reverse without lifting the trigger? I've adjusted it several times, also is it possible to fit a quick shift plate, it would need modified!
Sorry for the babbling, but stuck!

Cheers everyone.

Mark
Busboy1971
a>

Picture posting help here -

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=5939

I would guess you need the stop plate and yes, it looks the right way round, front of van at top of pic - no doubt others with EMPI shifters will know definitely

the rising flange on the right of the stop plate is designed to stop reverse being engaged - hence need to pull trigger on EMPI shifter to do so

you may find that renewing the rear coupling and the front bush in the gear linkage improves matters

Hey,
Thanks for the advice, would it make a difference if the vehicle is left hand drive?
Gonna take a look this weekend.

Busboy1971

You don't need the original stop plate with the EMPI shifter. I had an EMPI shitfer fitted and I had a lot of problems getting second no matter how I adjusted it. So now I have gone back to the stock one and I'll probably be getting a CSP soon.

You dont need that plate. Mine fitted without too much fuss but i may still change it for a CSP.
Make sure you are using the correct spacer and all the bushes are in good condition.

Latest posts