Shifter adjustment - reverse lock out plate

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnam

Reaction score
The shifting on my 71 bus was very vague with every gear hard to find. Once I thought I had second but it had actually gone into reverse without even needing to push down. It was on my to-do list to tackle it this weekend. I happened to get an early start today and took a look at the shifter and lock out plate.

The shifter ball housing was the type with slots on the left and right into which the reverse lock out plate with side tabs/wings should slot. But, the lock out plate that was there did not have any wings/tabs. I cleaned it up and reinstalled and took one pass at adjusting. The forward gears now slot in smoothly. And I can push down and get reverse as well. BUT, I can still find reverse without pushing down on the shifter.

Can further adjustment help with this or do I need a proper lock out plate. The plate that is there did look like it was either aftermarket or home made. Made well for the most part, but the reverse lock out side on the left did not look right to me as it did not have a ramp.

Does anyone have a spare original in good condition that they'd be willing to sell and ship to Bangalore, India? Or even within the UK as I have a friend visiting soon.

Thanks!
Byas

Latest posts