End of Bay Production - is this common knowledge?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read sometime last year that production was ceasing due to the amount of adapting needed for the new vehicle laws in South America from next year
and VW couldn't justify the spend i believe

Yes it's common knowledge and been known for a couple of years ago, the story keeps resurfacing from different sources.

They never seem to announce an actual finish date unless the latest release does but too be honest cant be bothered to read it as I wouldn't touch one.

Graham L said:
but too be honest cant be bothered to read it as I wouldn't touch one.

Got to agree with graham, saw a 60 plate Danbury down in Cornwall the other week, and yikes :shock: the amount of rust that thing was covered in was astonishing, it will need a full restore before its tenth birthday :(

68_early_bay said:
Graham L said:
but too be honest cant be bothered to read it as I wouldn't touch one.

Got to agree with graham, saw a 60 plate Danbury down in Cornwall the other week, and yikes :shock: the amount of rust that thing was covered in was astonishing, it will need a full restore before its tenth birthday :(

It won't last that long, someone I know was repairing rusty rear wheel arches on buses that were only 3 years old, no rustproofing on them whatsoever so a lot of money for a rust bucket

Blimey - The prices Danbury are charging for their conversions is eye watering :shock:

Many years ago I bought a number of Brasilian parts for my T1 - I only breathed on the bumper and it turned brown.

Quality was atroc.........atrocciu..........atroshis...... :oops: ...really bad.

I had a customer a few years back with an 05 plate one. She had already had rear arches and a total re-paint (and this was a few years back). They seem to be assembled with mole grips and a mig rather than on any kind of production line. And yes...no rustproofing...poor grade thin panels....and dont even get me started on the engine/exhaust subject! lol (But apart from that they're great!!! lol) :D

This does affect us though as lots of our parts come through Brazil and when the stop producing of these busses it wont be long before the parts productioon ceases too!

Be careful what you wish for Graham :D

Alex VW Heritage said:
This does affect us though as lots of our parts come through Brazil and when the stop producing of these busses it wont be long before the parts productioon ceases too!

This was my concern too...

In my experience VW Brazil parts are still higher quality than most repro stuff... :)

Alex VW Heritage said:

Hi Alex, I know I know

I was led to believe that a lot of the parts supply from Brazil had stopped already with some of it now being produced in Germany once again??

slow-lane-Matt said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
VW Classic in Germany are reproducing parts but mainly for goof's sadly :roll:

what's a "goof" ?

A golf.

Alex VW Heritage said:

Good points Alex, plus anyone buying into the scene has to be of benefit for everyone.

They seem to break down and get going fairly easily though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmncQGy_7Lk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as they have these kind of 'loads' i'm happy to see them driving about :msn4:

Davydomes said:
Quality was atroc.........atrocciu..........atroshis...... :oops: ...really bad.

:lol:

I like the colour scheme of the last edition Kombi with curtains. ;)
I wonder whether Danbury will try and get hold of a few, and if they do, what they'll be flogging those at! :shock:

Alex VW Heritage said:
VW Classic in Germany are reproducing parts but mainly for goof's sadly :roll:

So Alex,

If I start requesting OEM / Genuine VW parts from Heritage does that help? I'd really like to fit genuine parts where possible and as my bus gets older I don't mind paying a little more for parts that work and fit correctly and will give a service life comparable with the original German VW parts.

How do we make sure that we communicate the need / demand? I'm starting to feel like it's worth concentrating my spending on one or two key suppliers who then have sufficient business to justify communications / commitments with VW. Heritage look to be one of these important ones...

Is this crazy thinking or is "getting organised and focused" the right way to secure some kind of parts supply chain for the future? What is the view of Heritage as a business on this subject?

Genuine non-loaded / non-sarky questions :)

Cheers
/ic

Its not just as simple as ordering oem vw classic parts i'm afraid.

After years of trying poor fitting repro/brazilian parts i now try to use only nos or genuine vw parts,after seeing articles on vw classic finding hoards of parts and selling them from Germany i was relieved..at last proper parts! hooray!

Sadly my first order was for a pair of front indicator seals from vw classic in Germany via heritage,the order took ages (thanks alex at heritage for sorting that) but when they arrived in their snazzy vw classic packaging i discovered they are west coast metric items,(wcm part number imprinted on them) available elsewhere for considerably less than i paid for so called "Genuine".

Didn't seat correctly so they are in the back of my shed along with the pair of genuine nos indicator lenses i have.

vwvanman0 said:
Its not just as simple as ordering oem vw classic parts i'm afraid.

After years of trying poor fitting repro/brazilian parts i now try to use only nos or genuine vw parts,after seeing articles on vw classic finding hoards of parts and selling them from Germany i was relieved..at last proper parts! hooray!

Sadly my first order was for a pair of front indicator seals from vw classic in Germany via heritage,the order took ages (thanks alex at heritage for sorting that) but when they arrived in their snazzy vw classic packaging i discovered they are west coast metric items,(wcm part number imprinted on them) available elsewhere for considerably less than i paid for so called "Genuine".

Didn't seat correctly so they are in the back of my shed along with the pair of genuine nos indicator lenses i have.

Oh, that's not very encouraging :(

I'm experiencing the same thing with classic Porsche parts, it's just really hard to get decent parts for older cars. It's got to the stage with buses where it's no longer economically viable to just look in breakers or buy a "spares car". Guess I'd better start stockpiling 944 MoT failures :(

Latest posts