Engine Change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinvan

Reaction score
Can anyone help, will a 2litre engine fit in my 1969 early bay rhd ? its air cooled twin carb out of a late bay and if so which engine mounting bar do i use, the one on the 2 litre engine or the one from the 1600 engine that coming out, and do i need to change anything more, ie tinware etc, also will the starter motor from the 1600 be ok, i have the correct gearbox 6 spline
Any help would be welcome

Do you mean T4 or type 4?

Type 4 engines go in but a type 4 diesel engine would be a whole other kettle of fish! :msn4:

You will need to fabricate the mounting as the early bay has a different fittings. The tin wear will need to be a cut and shut affair as it is designed to fit a larger engine bay and you need to make sure you have the longer input shaft on the gearbox. A few mods to the electrics as the early Type 4 had a different regulator and the later an inbuilt one so not needed with that model. Good conversion. Robert

Thanks Robert
looks like i have a lot of work to do, but "hay ho" vans will be vans
cant make my mind up! do i crack on with the 2 litre or go back to my 1600 twin port
"any thoughts"

My friend as a 2 letter type 4 late bay, yes it quite a bit quicker than my 1600SP but he spends his life at the petrol pump or so it seems.

My earlybay had a Type4 engine in when i got it and the first thing i did was get a stock 1600 Type 1 back in there. The engine bay and valance had been totally mullered to fit it in, engine bar mounts cut out and type 4 ones welded in. it overheated all the time because there was no good way to seal between the top/bottom of the engine and the fan sucked in the hot exhaust. Also for 2ltr Type4 you will need a new gearbox too.

My van cruises at 60 and i wouldn't want to go any faster in it.

Simon.

sparkywig said:
Late mounting bar, but you'll need the correct type 4 tinware to fit an early which is like rocking horse shit.

VW never made such a thing :)

The only tinware kits to fit a type IV engine into an early-bay engine bay are aftermarket, and the ones I've seen have some dubious engineering in them.

I'd love a type IV engine, but I'm not going to hack my engine bay about to fit one :)

Latest posts