engine codes??????????????????????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
Don't know if this is in the right section??

I have recently bought a new(recon case)16tp engine or lead to believe.
The case has the mounts for the van and not the adaptor needed for a beetle engine.
So am i right in saying i have a bus engine case??

My next question is what size were bus engines?? 1200/1300/1500/1600/1700?????

The reason i am asking is i am in the process of running it in and have done about 130 miles so far.
I have not thrashed it and am careful to change up or down so as not to labour the engine but find any sort of rise/hill and the engine slows quite quickly but i do not bury my foot in the floor.When van loaded with the family etc it seems under powered.
I change up into 4th at 30 mph on the open road and then wind it up to 50mph.
When i am on me own it seems ok but have yet to FLOOR IT and see what top speed is.
Now looking at posts ref MPG etc all you guys seem to be hitting 55-65mph loaded.
My code on the block reads AB 782283 and looking on varies sites AB is a 1300 block??
Have i been sucker punched or can you put 16tp heads on 1300 case(has points for mooooostache bar)
Am running a 34 pict 3 stock oil bath and exhaust.
Will engine be freer after time or is it a 1300tp and will i kill it in a bus?
All bits i have on it are for 16tp.

Anyway of telling if it is a 1600 without taking heads off??

Any help/info welcomed.

Sorry Sharky but it does appear you have a 1300 block. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could however have 1600 barrels and pistons but as far as I know there is no way of knowing without measuring. 1600 barrels are 85.5mm in diameter from memory.

i did not think they did the mounting points for a bus on a beetle block??
or are they all the same and you just tap a thread??
will it say on external part of heads??
will a 1300 get me van (westy poptop) upto and past 50mph??or the fact that i had 50mph states i have 1600 b&p??

they manifolds on the heads are a set from a standard setup for 16tp,would these still fit a 13tp,are the heads the same on 13 and 16tp??

I think manifolds are the same for 1.6 and 1.3. I had a 1200 when I first got the bus and had 65 out of it so I don't think you can use the speed to judge.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

When I bought my bus it had a 1641 said to have been built by Laurie Pettitt, who many on here know and speak well of. I found that it was an AB reference too so spoke to him recently to see if this is likely - as a 1300 to start with.

To put your mind at rest he told me that from '71 onwards they were universal blocks and he thinks a 1300 background is a positive as it won't have taken the abuse that most van engines will have done - so it's actually good news!! :D

Latest posts