Engine cuts out on sudden stops

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you find the problem? I’m having the same problem but the gaskets we just changed. I’ve changed the coil, I’ve switched the distributor from vacuum advance to mechanical advance. I’ve reset the timing and changed the carburetor! I’ve also changed the fuel filter and all of the fuel lines. All of the vacuum lines and vacuum assist unit has also been changed!!This problem has been going for years!
I get everything setup nicely, the bus runs great for a couple of weeks, then the symptoms slowly come back to the starting point.
Would there be something BEFORE the carburetor?
Hi Ka1 dza
My problem only got solved via fitting a new carb so sorry
I cant advise you more
Whitewater

Ours just gradually developed poorer idle i'd noticed over last 2 weekends. Its always a bit hit/miss when cold, running DRLA36 carbs but fine once warmed up.
Then last two sundays as i've reversed into our awkward garage i had to heel/toe the brake & throttle. Yet it was just fine on a run out.
Stopped & took a look last night & spotted the left carb actually moving when i throttled.
LH manifold nuts had worked loose somehow, by a canny bit.
Nipped up & idled instantly better, but i will swap the fixings. It was dark but nuts looked like nyloc style with only shorter flats, difficult to get a good purchase on with the socket. Don't think there were washers on either.

Did you find the problem? I’m having the same problem but the gaskets we just changed. I’ve changed the coil, I’ve switched the distributor from vacuum advance to mechanical advance. I’ve reset the timing and changed the carburetor! I’ve also changed the fuel filter and all of the fuel lines. All of the vacuum lines and vacuum assist unit has also been changed!!This problem has been going for years!
I get everything setup nicely, the bus runs great for a couple of weeks, then the symptoms slowly come back to the starting point.
Would there be something BEFORE the carburetor?
It sounds like you did everything I’ve done! I thought it might be gaskets too, but the neoprene gaskets on the manifold were changed during the last tuneup 3 months ago. I’ve had a new carburetor and a professionally rebuilt carburetor on the engine and I still have the same problem! It might be before the carburetor, but I don’t know where.
I’ve also readjusted the choke too! But it’s SSDD! (Same crap, different day!)
I talked to a very popular mechanic today about my problem. He said bring it in! In about 3 months. SOOOO instead of worrying about getting the engine right, I’m going to catch up on the dozens of things around the house that I’ve been neglecting.
I’ve been needing to do a bit of bodywork too. That will keep me busy for the rest of the summer!
Please let me know if you have come across any miracle fixes!
My name is Bob, the bus’ name is Myles and we live just south of Boston, Massachusetts!

Ours just gradually developed poorer idle i'd noticed over last 2 weekends. Its always a bit hit/miss when cold, running DRLA36 carbs but fine once warmed up.
Then last two sundays as i've reversed into our awkward garage i had to heel/toe the brake & throttle. Yet it was just fine on a run out.
Stopped & took a look last night & spotted the left carb actually moving when i throttled.
LH manifold nuts had worked loose somehow, by a canny bit.
Nipped up & idled instantly better, but i will swap the fixings. It was dark but nuts looked like nyloc style with only shorter flats, difficult to get a good purchase on with the socket. Don't think there were washers on either.
I only have the OEM stock carburetor!
I’m glad you found the problem so quickly!!

Latest posts