Engine cutting out when stopping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
Took my 71 westy out for a spin today as it was such a nice day. She was going fine until I fuelled up at the local garage and after refuelling she cuts out when I come to a stop and wont idle. I have to restart the engine every she stops. Any ideas? Im thinking crud getting into engine?

I had same problem recently and it was the solenoid fuel shut off on the side of the carb....the wire was knackered and not making connection...the engine will run when fuel pulled past on acceleratror, but at every junction etc it died....Pull off the wire with ignition on and listen for a click as the solenoid opens and closes...It was a quick fix for me...

if your still stock check your vacuum pipes, loose/fallen off ones have has caused mine to stall in the past.

I'd go with the solenoid playing up or an air leak, does it go ok when your actually moving?

davechorlton said:
I had same problem recently and it was the solenoid fuel shut off on the side of the carb....the wire was knackered and not making connection...the engine will run when fuel pulled past on acceleratror, but at every junction etc it died....Pull off the wire with ignition on and listen for a click as the solenoid opens and closes...It was a quick fix for me...

I'd go with this as well. Happened to me too.

Checked solenoid and vacumn pipes seem ok. Started the van today and it worked fine idling well for 5 mins but once i moved and stop she cuts out. Checked the inlet manifold below the carb it was freezing cold even after running it for 5 mins. Is it normal for it to be cold? Im begining to suspect the manfold is iced up . Aside from taking the carb off is there a quick fit maybe heat up the manifold with a blowtorch perhaps? Only asking cause a mate wants to borrow the van for a wedding in a couple of days :?

Maybe you need to get yourself an IMDU

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Sho...ifolds/IMDU/Manifold_IMDU_Heater_12_Volt.html

BBF9174B-73BB-4256-B069-FA33F0B1F55E-2050-0000025E7E8A4634.jpg

Coolair sell them for about £40

Give them a call first and they will set you up for an Earlybay 10% discount 8)
(You need to make sure you have 50 posts on Earlybay so 1 more to go!)

Spence

Well a manifold warmer might what she needs being a texan import. Do they work? Anyone got one on their van? Ive got a late bay air filter on a single port 1500 engine. Not my doing was on the van when i bought it. I intend to change it back to the early bay filter at some point.Will this make a difference as shes being running fine up till now?

I think you need to get an original Oil bath air filter fitted, that should sort out your problems.
Going back to stock is always the best :D

RCC Import are always selling them, the only issue is if you've have the stand removed to hold it in place, you would need to source another and weld back in place.

01824 524003 - I would call them first to ensure they have the right filter for your bus,
They may have a stand knocking around as well...

Here's a link to one of many they are selling on eBay

http://bit.ly/XvSPRH

Several threads re use of the IMDU are here......

http://forum.earlybay.com/search.ph...t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Good luck

Spence

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will change back to the stock filter and will track one down and yep need a stand as the original had ben removed. A job to add to the list.

Gar said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Will change back to the stock filter and will track one down and yep need a stand as the original had ben removed. A job to add to the list.

Gar,

you have PM

Spence

Latest posts