Engine hatch hinges. Stuck fast.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cymrusteve

Reaction score
So, I'm waiting for my new fuel hose and fittings to arrive, so decided to move on to another project on the to-do list -- replacing the worn out hinges and fitting new hinge seals on the engine hatch.

Hinge bolts are a combination of rusty and painted over and they appear to be stuck fast. Any tips on removing them without damaging the heads?

So much for this being an easy fix :(

I went through the gallons of plus gas/wait a week/impact driver route, and still ruined the posidrive heads anyway! Ended up drilling them out and running a tap through to clean out the threads.

Good Luck!
Elliott

Cheers! That's probably my last resort backup plan. Fun, fun, fun.

If you have acces to air tools and not worried about the hinges as you're going to replace try an air chisel...you are going the the right way??? Righty tighty, lefty loosey .... :lol: good luck dude.

doing mine atm, one of the screws is stuck although I have damaged some of the others getting them out so will replace all of them. Just another idea for you as well as the other suggestions already made, you could try a left handed drill bit which may bring out the screw. If not then an easy-out should work as well. :)

Latest posts