Engine help please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scampi

Reaction score
Hello

My van and evrything seems to be running fine apart from when it's cold.

It doesn't fire up first turn of the key. And when it does there is a clicking noise coming from the engine, not sure what part yet as I need to investigate further.

Just though I would post up before I dive in.

Cheers :wink:

Gotta be worth checking the rotor arm / dizzy cap first, a poorly fitted/fitting cap can sometimes make a clicking noise. Mine did something similar.

Justin & Mutley said:
Sticky starter motor?

;)

The clicking might be the fuel cut off solenoid on the carb, that would explain the rough running. Hold a screw driver against the base of the and listen for it. It should click once when the ignition is switched on.

Dizzy cap ahs just been replaced in a service and was doing it before.

Takes about three turns of the key when starting from cold.

Going to order some rebuild kits for my carbs tonight anyway so can check all that then. Will try the screwdriver thing when I start her up to go shopping in a bit though.

Cheers guys :wink:

Sounds like the starter to me, same probs with my old 1303s and for that matter my old fiesta. Definately worth checking it out.

How cold is it outside when trying to start it Scampi? ....(fiddles around looking for his Celsius to Fahrenheit converter :lol: )

Scampi said:
I'd say about 5 ish at the moment (centigrade)

Hmmm, that's about 41 F, and if your timing is right, valves are .006", and jetted correctly, it should firing up after the first turn. Are you running points or electrinic ignition?
Solex idle and main jets are the easiest to come by, so checking your spark plugs and/or looking at the coloration of the inside of your tailpipe will give you an indication if you are running lean or rich.

It's been off the road for 6 months at the moment so I just originally thought it was something that may of just been because it hadn't been used or maybe even started :shock:

Points will be checked when I get correct kit delivered.

Did seem to notice there may of been some oil spraying out of the pipe though as was some on the engine lid! :?

Scampi said:
It's been off the road for 6 months at the moment so I just originally thought it was something that may of just been because it hadn't been used or maybe even started :shock:

Points will be checked when I get correct kit delivered.

Did seem to notice there may of been some oil spraying out of the pipe though as was some on the engine lid! :?

Good time to see where this is coming from....the VW engine is technically a large air pump, and adding Kads (versus a stock single centermount) will flow more air and you will possibly have some blow-by. Maybe add a breather box to the mix (fairly inexpensive vs. engine troubles) and hopefully that may solve your oil spattering. But either way, track that leak down.

Seems it, but the amount of pressure being built up inside the crankcase may be the reason why some blow-by is getting past the rings.

I don't know of the exact pressure statistics, but when using anything other than stock carbs the crankcase should be vented properly. I have seen people using breather boxes and uni-breathers. Having a properly working draft tube breather is essential also.

Latest posts