Engine lid removal including original 1971 hinge.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt48

Reaction score
Hi

picked up a spare engine lid ages ago, cheap and welded on a couple of new patches so not perfect but will do whilst I take off the current lid which is not original and maybe repair that one.

So here is the question the screws holding the hinge in place are rusted to buggery, has anyone successfully drilled them out? Or glued and an extension on so they can be un screwed, or hacksawed them off? Cannot see any videos on utube, someone must have done this, got new hinges if necessary and screws from jk. Need a new number plate light cover but might be able to rescue original.

Thanks for any ideas .

Couple of things to try:

- Cut a slit in the top of the head with a dremel and use a flat head screwdriver to remove
- drill the screw out and use a helicoil
- use one of these. Not tried them before but for 7 quid, worth a punt

SKmoon Damaged Screw Remover and Extractor Set , Made From H.S.S. 4341#, the Hardness Is 62-63hrc ( Set of 4 ) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E9ZC2K2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lmeuDbAY9WKM5

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Well surely step one has to be applying a penetrating spray to the nuts/bolts in question!, ideally overnight.. (my preferred poison being 'PlusGas').
Then when attempting to undo said bolts go with impact sockets if you can, tend to be a nice positive fit, good n strong too.
Failing that go with the grinder :character0036:

All completely rotted in, drilled out and new metal to go in with nuts welded into place, going to weld in extra metal in rubber surround channels. Water penetration damage from previous owners bodge jobs. Access holes made to put in new hinge fixing points, got the new old lid in place but loads more to do,

A bit more work than I thought but will be good for another 49 years.

Welded nuts in place and surround put in place to locate them on hinge fixing. Dremmed out access holes. Now working on repairs to off side down surround to engine lid and some metal work next to hinges, engine surround. And the JK new engine lid lock will not open, it'll just need a shave off the catch.

Weld Weld Weld

I restored mine ten ish years ago and every now and then I’m amazed it lasted as long as it has. So beginning of this year I had to do the underside of the screen and rebuild that section and that brought about a new laminated screen too. But I really enjoyed getting that welder out again and found it quite therapeutic.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,good fun innit :mrgreen:

it is except for the small fires!! but engine area covered. and the weld spit, but cab door sliding door and now this getting better!

Still wouldn't want to do a chassis or anything structural!!

Chassis and stuff is awkward if you can’t get the dam thing up in the air, welding whilst led upside down presents it’s own giggles. But don’t be scared, get some thicker metal and have a play practice with your welder cranked up a bit then grind through and check out your penetration, I just love saying that word :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, should be easier really :mrgreen:

Matt48 said:
Bought some longer screw bolts than supplied by a well known company coz of my welding.

By any chance did you buy JustKampers bolts?

I recently got a set from them and they're way WAY too short. Trying to find a supplier with longer ones!

sparkywig said:
If you know the length, thread and pitch sizes try a hardware/fixings supplier rather than a VW parts retailer.

Yep, thats exactly what I'm doing tomorrow!

sparkywig said:
If you know the length, thread and pitch sizes try a hardware/fixings supplier rather than a VW parts retailer.

Toolstation £3.50 for 50 x 20mm M6 Countersunk bolts, that'll do!

Latest posts